Chapter Six - Shopping

"If I looked inside your brain

I would find lots of things

Clothes, shoes, diamond rings"

Syd's POV:

November 26th, 10:00 am

8 days. It has been 8 days since my embarrassing first encounter with Jasmine's friends.

Me and Jasmine have hung out once more since and we see each other all the time in the hall. It is not that I don't want to hangout with her but she seems to always be busy. Whatever club she works at is really taking up all her free time.

It's fine though I shouldn't have assumed she would always be free.

It is early in the morning and I am sipping my coffee on my couch, the bright fall sun shining through my open window. I hear the honk of taxis and the sound of shouting and cursing coming down from the street below.

Ahh, New York.

I have had a few shifts these past couple of days but it seems the more shifts I request the less I get. I really have to pay rent by the first or I am screwed, I can't be late again.

Thinking of work I pull out my phone and text Maeve.

Syd: Hey Maeve, do you know when you are working next?

Maeve: Uh no I haven't checked. Why?

Syd: Just wondering.....Hey are you free tonight wanna go out for some drinks?

Maeve: Sorry no I can't, I have got a date. I am free tomorrow, wanna do brunch?

Syd: Yeah I can do brunch at Pattys?

Patty's dinner is possibly the most cliche dinner in New York state but it has cheap breakfast and good bacon. I showed Maeve it one time and she has been obsessed ever since. Our love for Pattys really bonds us together as we don't really have anything else in common.

Maeve: YASSS I LOVE PATTYS SM. Meet there at 11?

Syd: Kk. Have fun on your date ;)

It is days like this with no work, no friends, and no distractions that my mind goes back to Nate. Apparently a couple days ago he came to the cafe looking for me. Luckily I wasn't there and Maeve told him to get out.

I don't know why he would go to the cafe looking for me. He knows where I live. Weird. But Nate never liked coming to my apartment. He said it was "sketchy."

*knock knock*

Huh who is that?

Amazon package? No.

Zara package? No.

Depop package? No.

I decide to stop my guessing game and just go and answer it. I open the door to reveal Jasmine.

"Hey Syd!" She greets.

"Uh Hi, what's up?" She usually texts me if she needs something instead of just showing up.

"Well I need a new rug and I feel like I haven't seen you in forever so wanna come shopping with me?" Jasmine asks excitedly.

"Oh um yeah I just need to get ready," I reply looking down at my oversized 'Queen' band tee and some sleep shorts.

"Oh no problem, just come over when you are ready," She says, "Be quick though I wanna get there before the lunch rush."

I nod my head and quickly scurry off to my bathroom to start my morning routine. After that is all done I put on some light makeup. Concealer, mascara and lip gloss. Simple yet classy.