Prologue

He crouched behind the dumpster halfway along the darkened alley and checked his pistol. He screwed on the silencer and checked that the gun was loaded and the safety was off.

A few minutes later he heard footsteps approaching. He held his breath and waited as the sound came nearer. Then when it sounded like the person was only a few metres away the footsteps stopped. He quietly waited, but after three minutes of total silence he had to know. He carefully peered out from behind the dumpster. The alley was empty. How could that be? He stood up and scanned the alley. No one to be seen. Then a sound behind him made him whirl around. She was standing only two metres behind him with a wicked looking gun pointed at his chest. She was tall with long dark hair and wearing a long black coat. She smiled at him.

"Please drop the gun," she said in dangerously calm almost polite voice.

He couldn't believe it. How had his target managed to sneak up behind him and get the drop on him? He was a professional. He never made mistakes. He had two choices. He could drop his gun or he could take his chances that he was faster than her. As quick as lightning he leaped to one one side as he brought his gun hand up and fired.