𝟓𝟑| 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

-HER-

I was bubbling with excitement for the rest of the time. I was just so tempted to go downstairs and ask him what it was that we were going to do tonight but he was too busy. So, I went into my room and waited for the sun to finally go down, wondering where we were going to go tonight. I knew that we were going somewhere tonight by all the preparations that he was doing.

I didn't know where it was but I just had a feeling that it wasn't a usual place. After being in my room for an hour, I finally gave up and crept back to LEVEL 1 to ask him what it was that we were going to do. Though I didn't find him there at first. Only Filth was there, cleaning some mechanical parts I had never seen before.

"I don't have time," He shot as I was opening my mouth to annoy him with my questions.

"Where's Mr Night?"

"In LEVEL 3,"

"Okay then," I told him and spun on my heels.

"You're not going down there!" He shot up instantly. I gave him sly smile, "You seem to know me too well,"

"Go upstairs and stop wasting my time," He gritted, getting back to what he was doing.

"I will do that if you tell me what's going to happen tonight," I told him.

"I am not sure if you're even supposed to find that out,"

"Mr Night has told me to be prepared for tonight, which implies that I'd be accompanying you two for whatever thing that you two are up to,"

"Well then, when the time comes you'd find out,"

"I want to find out now!" I demanded.

"That's not how it works,"

"Either you're telling me or I'm going to LEVEL 3 to ask him myself. Stop me if you can!" I told him before turning around. Though I knocked myself into a wall but as I stumbled back, I realised it was the devil himself.

"Are done with them yet?" Romulus asked Filth grimly. He was as shocked as I to haven't noticed when Romulus had entered the room.

"Yes sir, I'm almost done," Filth answered a bit anxiously.

"Go downstairs and start packing," He ordered. Even though Filth wasn't done with his current work, he somehow cleaned it quickly and left without breathing another word, leaving the two of us alone.

"I remember dismissing you from work early," He told me while I took a step back in order to be able to look at his face properly.

"Yes, but I wanted to know what is that you want me to be prepared for," I told him, shuffling on my feet while he watched me pensively. He looked as calm and collected as usual but I just couldn't help but notice how some of his hair was slightly out of place. "I just don't want to be surprised like that gambling night," I added when he didn't say anything.

"It's not going to be like that,"

"Then what is it going to be like? Why are you preparing so much?" I pressed. He clenched his jaw while he looked at me intensely. I could see a muscle in his jaw ticking away. "Why can't you just tell me?"

"You'll find out what you ought to do when we get there," He tried to assure me but I wasn't going to have it this way. I wanted to know and without knowing what he was going to do, I wasn't going to go anywhere.

"I want to know now," I demanded, holding his gaze stubbornly. His eyes darkened a bit more. I could feel the air around us getting thick with tension. "Or I'm not going," I added.

"I am going to take back what they took from me that night,"

"You're still after that shipment?"

"Didn't I tell you that I wouldn't stop until I get my hands on it?" He spoke grimly.

"What is in it?" I asked him next, not expecting any clear answer.

"Something very important," He answered vaguely.

"That I can tell by the way you put yourself in danger and the things that you're doing to get it back but I want to know what's exactly in it and where are we going to get it from and how are we going to get it? If it's something stupid like the this—" I pointed to the necklace on my chest. His eyes followed there and lingered for a few seconds, "then I'm not going,"

"I told you that gem is not an ordinary one,"

"I want to know what's in the shipment, Romulus! Just tell me, why don't you? You still don't trust me?" I asked him.

"If I tell you what it is then you wouldn't take me seriously,"

"This is my cue then," I glared at him, crossing my arms over my chest. After glaring at him for a whole minute, he finally gave me an answer, "We are after some keys,"

"Thank you, I'd be in my bed tonight—"

"— they aren't any ordinary keys, Ophelia," He added, stepping closer to me.

"What do they open?" I asked.

"I cannot tell you that yet,"

"Why not?" I pressed. Again, he fell silent, looking more tense than ever.

"I'd rather you see what they open," he told me.

"What? A chest of treasure?"

"Something more important than that. Something..." he trailed off, looking past me, "you couldn't fathom,"

"It better be worth the trouble you're going to put me in," I told him and this finally made him look back at me but more pensively.

"I'm promising you," He stepped even more closer to me until I had to tilt my head back to look at his face properly. The closeness made something flutter in my stomach while my heart started to race. From up this close, I could see his pupils grow larger as they focused on my face, "This is the last time I'll make you do something like this," He added, wrapping his arms around my waist and pressing my body against his.

Even though I was shocked by his actions, my body seemed to know what to do because I found myself wrapping my arms around his neck to close the distance between us.

"Why? Would you send me back after this?" I asked him. Even though he'd told me that he was never going to do that, I still found it hard to believe. There was just something in me that didn't want to believe it at all. At this, his Addam's apple bob up and down while his eyes grew darker and more intense.

"I told you, Ophelia. I'll never send you back," He told me again, pulling me closer until our lips were inches apart. A tingling sensation ran down my spine as he brushed his lips against my cheek and whispered, "Because you'll be mine,"

_

Read the complete book on Patreon and my new book The Priestess' Affair along with exclusive works for only $3 per month! The link is in the bio.

thanks for reading <3