twenty-five - "to kill an innocent"

𝐆𝐎𝐃'𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐘𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐋 𝐃𝐈𝐗𝐎𝐍
❝ to kill an innocent ❞

𝐆𝐎𝐃'𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐘 — 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐋 𝐃𝐈𝐗𝐎𝐍❝ to kill an innocent ❞

When Madeline was fifteen, she was involved with the wrong crowd.

Her parents had just gotten a divorce, her mother was in and out of institutions for addiction, and her brothers barely spoke to her.

Her friends, or at least she people she thought of as friends, took her under their wing, helping her fight back against the shit that went on at home. She rebelled against her father, yelled at her brothers, and dated boys years older than her that she thought loved her. She thought a lot of things at fifteen that all turned out to be lies .

She didn't snap out of it until her boyfriend of three months got them into a wreck coming home from a party. She had broken her leg, trapped under the crunched-in dashboard. She didn't even notice the pain in her leg at the time, too busy crying while her boyfriend screamed at her, saying it was her fault and that she was going to get them busted.

Once she was out of the hospital, she realized how much of a raging bitch she had been all those months. That was when they moved to Georgia, partly for a fresh start and partly because that was where her father's new girlfriend was. She reinvented herself there, becoming a familiar version of herself from the rubble of the stranger she had once been. When she would travel to Ohio to visit her mother and see her ex-friends at the stores in town, she couldn't even see what had drawn her to them.

They were angry, resentful to the world. So much teenage angst in such little bodies. They did things for the sake of surprise, said things that made people's skin crawl. They scowled at her from across the snack aisle, partly from hate and partly from jealousy.

Randall reminded her of them.

He was a kid, sure, but there seemed to be a darkness surrounding him like a thick blanket. He was silent while she had tended to his leg, and yet his body spoke volumes. She always heard him muttering when she was outside the barn, talking to himself. He would cry when anyone would walk in, and yet no tears tell. He was putting on a show, the same kind of show her old friends had when they got busted.

She had been glad to see him leave.

Rick and Shane returned around the same time as Madeline and Daryl had. She had been on the porch, going through their finds when the two men pulled up, bloody and silent. Rick pulled Randall out of the trunk, hauling him back off towards the barn. Madeline gasped when she saw him, shocked that the men hadn't followed through. Daryl sat on the railing next to her, cursing.

Shane looked to her, his eyes shifting from his sister to the hunter, a strange look in them. He nodded at Madeline, setting off towards his friend.