thirty-three - "few more days"

𝐆𝐎𝐃'𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐘𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐋 𝐃𝐈𝐗𝐎𝐍
❝ few more days ❞

There were days where Madeline's head felt heavy, like she had been thrust under water and no matter how hard she kicked or how loud she screamed, no one came to pull her to the surface

There were days where Madeline felt like she had never left Savannah. Days where she could still smell the sea salt in the air or hear the squawking of seagulls. Days where she could still feel the sticky blood that had coated her arms, still hear Emily asking, begging so much of her.

Today was not one of those days.

Madeline tilted her head up to the sun, smiling. She had awoken to the smell of cooking squirrel and the sounds of soft chatter. She felt nothing but the coarse material of her blanket and heard the soft breathing of her godson beside her. She was far from Savannah, safe in the arms of her group and the people she loved. Chunks of her were left there, bloody towels and bullet casings, and yet she was still her, she was still breathing.

The group had secured the field, the courtyard, and a cell block. They were making progress, slowly battling their way through the labyrinth that stood before them.

Following breakfast, Rick led the way past the gate, pointing out piles of bodies they needed to burn and places he thought held important rooms. A cafeteria, an armory, even an infirmary sat within their grasp, abandoned and full of possibilities.

"Lori, let me carry that." Madeline said, coming up behind her friend as she tried to pick up her heavy pack. The mother sighed, nodding as she panted. She cast one more look around the courtyard, a dreamy smile on her lips as she begun to imagine what life could be like here. "Never thought I would be excited to go to prison."

"You'll fit right in." Lori snarked, walking beside her friend. Glenn took up the lead, the man exhausted. As they entered the cell block, Madeline covered her nose, her eyes welling with stinging tears. The smell was overwhelming, even worse that the streets of Atlanta. She coughed, looking at Lori out of the corner of her eye. "Hopefully it'll lessen once we clear the bodies."

"At least no one can tell we smell." Madeline smiled, playfully sniffing her arm pit. The two women chuckled, finally coming to a stop in front of the cells. She took a moment to take it all in, watching as the rest of the group piled in. "Wow. And it's secure?" She directed her question to Rick, who stood beside Glenn in front with a small, tired smile.

"This cell block is." He answered, nodding.

"And the rest of the prison?" Hershel asked from behind Madeline.