32

Cyrus Laskaris

I heard a sigh followed by a shifting in the space of the bed behind me. This caused me to roll over to see if Zoey was awake. I smiled to myself when I saw she was sound asleep but my smile faded when I saw she had a pained look on her face and her breathing was quick and uneven. I gently brushed my thumb over the space between her eyebrows and almost instantly she relaxed and her breathing returned to normal. I smiled to myself again before wrapping my arms around her and pulling her into my chest. She shifted again and grabbed my hand and pulled it under her chin before relaxing. I laughed slightly as I began to see what she was seeing in her dream as I myself drifted back to sleep.

I woke up a few hours later in the same position but Zoey was now facing me. I smiled to myself again and brushed her hair out of her face causing her to stirr.

"Is it morning already?" She groaned rolling to her back.

"Unfortunately," I laughed, watching her stretch. "How'd you sleep?"

She hesitated for a moment. "Good," she lied.

"Uh-huh," I said, raising an eyebrow at her.

"What?" I said nothing. "Cyrus what?" She laughed.

"You were tossing and turning all night and when I woke up earlier you were having a nightmare."

She sighed, "ya'know I really hate this telepathy thing sometimes," she said sitting up.

"What's bothering you?" I asked copying her actions. I could feel her battling her thoughts again before they went silent and I grabbed her hand. "Zoey."

"I know, I'm sorry. I'm just worried."

"About what?"

"About everything Cy," she sighed, throwing the blankets off of her and getting out of bed.

"Zoey-" I started to say but I was cut off by the slam of our bathroom door.

I let out a breath as I laid back in bed and covered my face with one of Zoey's pillows. I groaned loudly and pushed it into my face before getting up and getting dressed. Once I was done I sat on the bed and waited for Zoey to come out of the bathroom. But after a while of waiting I finally came to the conclusion that the shower she decided to take was going to be one of those showers, so I got up and went to the lounge where Isaac and Jo were sitting on the couch laughing about something.

"Glad to see some people are having a good start to the day," I said sitting down in the chair across from them.

"Awe, what's wrong Cyrus?" Isaac said, poking his bottom lip out at me. "Trouble in paradise?"

I glared at him. "Yeah, actually."

I watched as Jo swatted Isaac's arm and looked at me. This made me smile. "What happened?" She said leaning forward on her knees.

"Zoey's just in a mood. She won't let me in again and I have no idea why or how she does it," I said, rubbing my forehead. Trying to get into her head to help her was actually giving me a headache, not to mention the burning in my stomach from being away from her was making me uncomfortable.

"You know she used to do that to me too. Towards the end especially. I never could understand how she did it either," Isaac said.

"What if she's like that Blake kid? I mean he can let people into his head even if they aren't part of the pack. What if this is the same thing?" Jo said.

"I mean it is possible. There might be others in that pack that have those abilities, maybe different ones. Zoey's family is connected to that pack so maybe that has something to do with it-"