The Awakening Pt 1.1

(There is so much in the very first episode of Gargoyles that I can assure you will be more than two parts)

994 AD

It had been four years since Alba had come to Castle Wyvern and joined the gargoyle clan that resided there. Much had happened in that time; Malcolm had died from sickness and three years ago Prince Alexander had taken his subjects on a voyage to the Land of the Young. Princess Katharine had taken up the seat Malcolm left, though it was not necessarily a good thing since she despised Alba's kind.

Alba, meanwhile, worked hard to find her place within the clan, doing as best she could each night. While she was not a warrior like they were, she was far more of a thinker and a strategist, outthinking her sparring opponents rather than facing them head-on. However, she was also swayed by kindness and very easily trusted others. Despite these differences, Alba had settled into her new clan nicely.

Alba looked out towards the ocean, her close friend and his subjects now in Tir Na Nog. Her heart would ache when she would think about him. Alexander had done so much for her. He taught her how to read and write, along with treating her as an equal. There was so much she had to thank her closest friend for, words certainly were not enough. Unfortunately, it would be some time before they'd see each other again, if at all even. She sighed sadly at the thought, knowing that it was wishful thinking.

A large, clawed hand clapped onto the marble gargoyle's shoulder, startling her. Turning her head, her widened eyes met the kind ones of Goliath. Warmth filled her chest at the sight of him. She cared deeply for the imposing male, his kindness and noble nature made it all the harder for her. She turned her eyes to the female gargoyle behind him, he already had a mate. She gave him and his second a soft smile, pushing the warm feelings down.

"Good evening my friends, what brings you to my humble outlook?"

When she desired solitude, the woman would get on the top of the towers overlooking the water. It was either that or she would settle into the rookery with a book that the captain of the guard would acquire for her.

"Our friend, the guard captain, has something for you. Be sure to get it before sunrise, there will be much to do tomorrow."

She nodded to the two of them, Goliath gliding off to see if the others of their clan were behaving themselves. His second stayed behind, giving her a long look before giving a smile. She had become used to Alba's random bouts of melancholy, assuming it was something she would continue to grow out of it as more time passed.

"We are sisters, remember you can come to me if you need to confide in someone."

Alba could hear the truth in her words, however, she couldn't shake the feeling of manipulation behind them. There was something about her clan's second that reminded her of her old clan's leader. She held a growing hatred behind her eyes that Alba believed would fester till it consumed her. Alba's instincts were normally never wrong, yet she believed or rather hoped, the woman before her would never do anything that would endanger their clan.

"I shall. Thank you, my friend."

She nodded taking wing and gliding off in the direction Goliath had earlier. Alba turned back to the ocean, giving it another glance over before making her way to find the captain of the guard.

__________

She didn't have to search long, finding the portly man stood overlooking the path to the castle gates. His eyes combed over the tree line critically, trying to see if there were any enemies stupid enough to attack at night.