Instinct

Kinsey woke with a start. She sat up in bed, looking around. The comfy sheets fell around her waist and she looked down to see herself sporting a fluffy pyjama shirt and matching pants.

When was the last time she wore pyjamas? She couldn't remember. But the sleep she had just had was one of the best that she's had in a while, so she wasn't complaining. Stretching, she glanced around the room to see it empty, aside from her. She yawned, getting up to investigate.

Across from the bed were blinds reaching down to the floor, and a light shone through the bottom. That was just enough so Kinsey could see the rest of the room. Dark grey walls, a comfy sofa, a desk with a lamp, and a few other necessities. On the walls were framed photographs of landscapes. Some of the beach, others of forests. The whole place seemed like a well-furnished well-furnished place, like a lot of thought had gone into it. She yawned again, reaching for the curtains. Where was she?

Dragging them open, she could not believe her eyes. They were on a cliff. But not just by a cliff. When Kinsey looked down, there was no land, just a large drop and then the ocean. She watched, mesmerized, as wave after wave crashed against sharp, jagged rocks. That was not something she wanted to fall off of.

The window itself was beautiful, not just the outside. It was a ceiling-to-floor kind of glass view, and through the crystal clear glass, she could see for miles. Now she felt like she was in a hotel. But where?

Kinsey looked back to her bed and saw her phone laying face down on the bedside table. She walked back over and picked it up. There was one missed call at three am from Tyler. Who in their right mind would call someone at three am?

She unlocked her phone and called him back. The phone dialled and then for two rings, Kinsey waited.

"Hello? Kinsey?" Her brother's voice came over the phone, shocked.

"Hey, Ty. What's up?" She asked. "You called me at three am, why? Is something wrong?"

"Kinsey, where are you?" He asked slowly. She spun around, glancing at the corners of the room then finally resting her eyes on the outside world.

"I dunno. Some hotel maybe? I'm along a cliff, and I just woke up in a room. You didn't have something to do with this, did you?" She jokes, hoping it was true. If he didn't bring her here...

"No. Kins, you need to leave. No matter who is there, you need to run." He said urgently, his breathing got heavier as she heard him run down the stairs.

"Why, what's going on?" She questioned him, starting to freak out.

"Look, we're coming to get you, okay?" Tyler said.

"Okay," Kinsey agreed. She hung up the phone, shaken. Where the hell was she, and what did he mean?

She looked through the drawers in the black dresser, searching for something other than pyjamas to wear running around.

Finally, she settled on jeans, a striped black and white t-shirt, and a brown leather jacket.

She sighed, not knowing if this was the right thing. But there was no time. Slipping her phone into her pocket, she crept to the door silently. After all of the times, she had almost been killed, Kinsey had started to learn how to become unnoticeable and quiet.

She slowly turned the knob, and the door opened silently. This whole place was perfect, but why was she here?

"I don't want to hear it," She heard Mutuku's voice from across the hall. She closed the door and rested her back on it. Closing her eyes, she sighed. This was not going to be easy. And why was he here?

Again, she opened the door a crack, then heard someone she recognized all too well.

"You will not talk back to me." Gabe threatened. He and Mutuku were standing across the hall and down a few stairs. It looked like an open room where you gather. Couches lined the walls, and a giant fireplace sat in the center. They stood just to the side of the sitting area, arguing about something.