Dragon

Kinsey's eyes cracked open. It was almost peaceful, save for the wind rushing through her fur and past her ears. Still falling. This was a high cliff. She didn't dare look down, she knew the sharp rocks at the bottom were getting closer.

Her eyes opened wide when she heard a whooshing sound. She looked up to see Gideon grow wings and turn into something even bigger than before. Fur turned to a deep blue, like a coastal ocean, but it wasn't fur. Scales, glittering in the moonlight. He spread his wings and stopped falling.

How could Kinsey not have thought of this before? She had a key that helped her shapeshift. As Gideon disappeared over the ledge, Kinsey willed herself to change. She became larger with red glinting scales, wings spreading wind to slow her fall. Finally, she looked down. The ground wasn't far and was sure she almost died.

Breathing out a sigh of relief, she carried herself up to the top of the cliff. Her family was in danger.

-------------_------------

"Kinsey!" Gabe screamed, running to the edge. Tyler had barely been given time to stand, let alone process everything. His sister had just jumped off a cliff to save their lives. And now she was gone.

"Wait!" Bode yelled, brushing the snow on his jacket off as he stood up. "She has the key. She can turn into anything, right?" He asked hopefully. Gabe stopped just short of the edge, looking back at them.

"I don't know, I-" Tyler started but was cut off by a great wind. It almost knocked him and everyone else over. Gabe backed away from the edge and looked up. Tyler did the same.

Above them, all was a blue dragon about the size of a house. The wingspan probably reached out to a whole soccer field. Fins ran down its back, and its toes were webbed. A giant thick tail swung back and forth, ready to crush all of them. Tyler gasped, and Gabe came over to the small group.

"Kinsey?" Bode called up at the dragon. Its lips turned into a smirk, and the chest scutes started glowing a blue. They glowed one at a time, from the chest up the neck to the head. It opened its jaws, a blue glow growing brighter in the back of the throat. "I don't think that's her." Bode whispers, standing behind Tyler. He put an arm around his brother and pulled him to his side.

The dragon opened its mouth wider, about to cover them in water or ice or whatever it breathed. Before it could, however, a roar shook the trees. The blue dragon looked up in surprise to see a red dragon rocketing towards it. As it came closer, Tyler could see it was also on fire. It looked like a phoenix.

It roared again and smashed into the other one. The momentum sent them both into the rock wall that rose above the sea caves. The ground shook, and cracks appeared in the rock where the blue dragon collided with it.

The red dragon, still on fire, was viciously clawing at it. The blue, which by now they all assumed was Gideon, was howling in pain, the fire on Kinsey's talons burning him.

He pushed her off and jumped into the air. They circled, huffing. Smoke rose out of Kinsey's nose, and a tongue of flame rolled out between her teeth. The glow on the blue dragon had faded, no longer able to drown them all.

Kinsey dove at him, aiming for his head, he ducked, but she caught the back of his neck. Fire licked his back, and he roared in pain. With a powerful flap of his wings, he spun and rammed into Kinsey. She grunted in surprise, trying to right herself.

Before she could, however, he came at her again, talons outstretched.

She growled and dove away. Unfortunately, she lost control and fell to the ground. On impact, the flames covering and protecting her died out. She shook her head and hissed at the snow. It was cold, especially for a fire dragon.