Rock the cradle [of love].

Note:

Inspiration for this chapter's title:

Billy Idol - "Cradle of Love"

**** 

The maid was rocking the cradle slowly, listening to the Masters carefully for possible coming orders. She was far too pleased that Sandu Shengshou trusted her again to help him around the House; Zewu-Jun had finally realized that all the fuss in the Hánshì  was only making his beloved husband more tired and nervous, so they went back to the old arrangements.

She was proud she was chosen again, it meant that Master Jiang trusted her and was pleased with her –  she had been jealous this last month that so many people had had access to what used to be sacred territory  –  the master bedroom. It made her work hard and try to please her Masters in any way she knew how.

They were reclining among the cushions and pillows on the floor, in a niche underneath the window, hugging and sipping on tea. Master Jiang was feeling a lot better and color was coming back to his face, and he finally trusted his son with other people more, so that now he could also rest more. 

She wondered why that was. Usually the noble Masters and Mistresses never cared too much about their children, and had many  –  the young ones were raised and educated by nannies and tutors and soldiers. But the Masters of the Cloud Recesses were different. This baby meant the world for them, and they wouldn't let it out of their sight for more than a minute or two. Even now, Sandu Shengshou would cast a glance at her every now and then, checking on any sounds coming from that cradle. She did not worry, she never intended to do any wrong, moreover  –  she had gotten used to her Master's quirks by now. 

She listened, ready.

~~

- Zewu-Jun, must we?

Jiang Wanyin was enjoying his husband's embraces too much now  –  Lan Huan would hold him tight whenever was possible, which meant almost all the time they were together. He was gradually regaining his old figure, and was too pleased to be able to feel his husband's body fully again. Lan Huan was smiling, he knew all those things too well.

- My love, this is the last time, I promise. But it must be done. It is an important political moment too. Our two Clans, darling. And also  –  the invitations have been dispatched already.  –  he laughed a little.

- I hate Clan gatherings. -  Jiang Cheng mumbled. –  Do you remember what happened last time, for my birthday, Zewu-Jun?

- How can I forget, Wanyin...?  –  Lan Xichen frowned and held him a little tighter.  –  I thought I was going to lose you... I thought I was going to lose my mind...

Sandu Shengshou said nothing, but his sigh spoke volumes.

- When are the idiots arriving?  –  he asked after a pause.

The girl was quick enough to stifle a smile and a chuckle, she knew too well whom the Master had in mind.

- Wangji wasn't too specific about it, but it will be this week, my heart. After all, the baby's Godfather is the guest of honor.  –  Zewu-Jun pursed his lips.

He was still too surprised that his husband had chosen Wei Wuxian to be their son's godfather; those two had a love-hate relationship he did not completely understand. His relations with his own brother were far clearer.

- I thought you would be happy to see your Shìjiè  again, darling? And our nephews? I bet they have all grown so much by now!

Lan Huan was caressing the long silky hair, enjoying the mix of low growling and trailing purring, which changed and alternated depending on the topic he was opening for discussion.

- Yes... Yes. Of course.  -  Jiang Cheng mumbled.  –  I just want to be with you... I miss you, Zewu-Jun... Even after the baby has been born it's been so busy and hectic... I barely saw you those last days...

- Oh, Wanyin... -  Lan Xichen sighed.  –  All too many tasks were delayed, sweetheart. I also had to send some Elders to Yumeng to supervise the renovations... And the affairs of the two Clans have to be attended to, now that you must keep the bed...

- It's a lot of work, yes.  -  Sandu Shengshou grumbled. – I have been quite useless those last couple of months.

- Honey... no...

- Forgive me, husband. I have never seen it from this angle. –  he said seriously, wondering just how tired Zewu-Jun had to be feeling. He cuddled into him more, sweating in the midsummer heat, but far too comfortable to be willing to move and be anywhere else.

Lan Huan smiled faintly and kissed his hair, caressing his cheek. Jiang Cheng's explosive character was settling, it was very plain to see. Several months ago he would have made a scene and sulked about it for days. Now he truly behaved like a Clan Leader. And a father.

- Wanyin, no... What you went through was exhausting and horrible. I understand this. I am not too sure I could ever possibly do it... -  he shuddered involuntarily, remembering.  –  You are so brave, my little one.

The large cat eyes looked up, staring at him once again with adoration and quiet joy.

- I just want to make you proud, husband.  –  he said shyly.

- I am. I am proud.

Oh that voice... A storm... And earthquake... A star exploding... 

Jiang Wanyin's heart skipped a beat; the deep voice ran through his core like a surge of electricity. His eyelashes fluttered; the pleasure of hearing that powerful Master's voice was indescribable.

- I hope the Naming Ceremony will be peaceful. Zewu-Jun is wise.  –  he said lowering his eyes and kissing his husband's hand gently.

- Darling...

- I love you so much, Huan...

- I love you too, my soft little kitten.

~~

The maid smiled and silently left them be, as the baby was sleeping soundly, and the Masters fell into each other's arms again, kissing each other desperately.