01 | BLAME

May 2016

May 2016

Lagos, Nigeria

"All right, what do you see?" Those were the first words that were heard in the comms after they had split up. They came from Steve Rogers watching inside an apartment in front of the police station.

"Standard beat cops," Wanda mentioned from her position in a local café near the station. "Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target."

The not-so-new group of Avengers was on a mission regarding Robinson and Rumlow. It had been over a year since both of them had burned all their belongings and disappeared from the map. Rumlow had escaped from prison whilst Daniel had stayed with Beth when she was being experimented on until he left to another base. They finally had good intel on what the two were up to after Rose had drawn them in this exact city and they had recent facial confirmation. Their main suspicion was that they were hitting the local police since they already had done the same several times before and taken modified and normal weapons from different places.

"There's an ATM in the south corner, which means..." Steve began.

"Cameras," Wanda responded again. She was the youngest and out of the group, she was the only one who was in agent training rather than just "avenger shaping" seeing that everyone else had already been on missions. Though she already had advanced plenty since said training started ever since Sokovia, one year ago.

"Both cross streets are one way," Rose observed.

"So, compromised escape routes," the Maximoff concluded.

"Means our guys don't care about being seen," Steve added, "they aren't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

"Yeah, the red one? It's cute."

"It's also bulletproof," Nat told her seating by herself two tables away, "which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody."

"Probably us," Beth said reclining against a wall near the café.

Sipping her coffee, Wanda pointed out, "You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?"

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature," Nat responded.

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" Sam asked her walking on a rooftop. "Almost as much as Rose."

"Thanks," the Thompson woman said dryly watching the street five buildings ahead of Sam almost on the next street. Her original spot was across from him, but she had moved without noticing, intuitively.

"Not to my face," the Russian answered. "Why? Did you hear something?"

Steve brought them back to the mission. "Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow and Robinson in six months. I don't want to lose them."