Chapter 4

Justice didn't really know why she had gotten so irritated with Keimon's responses. It wasn't like she couldn't sympathize with him.

Maybe it was because she had worked hard to get past her own experiences and now with him, they were being shoved right back into her face.

Maybe it was because she could remember a time when all she could do was give short, clipped responses to anyone who dared show her any type of emotion for fear of getting too attached or getting too trusting and getting too hurt again.

Maybe it was because she and him were so different- she took every precaution to make sure no one would be able to hurt her again, and here he was, throwing himself at it.

It was sickening, really.

Maybe she just really wanted to know how he endured that sedative.

Either way, she only waited a week before stopping by again.

When she did, the place was decorated for Christmas and Kabuto wasn't on the stage for once. She just found one of the employees and told her the name and then went to the room number she was told to go to.

She was waiting for longer than usual and was about to just leave when she heard a small commotion outside of the door.

"...please, I don't wanna this time, I just-" Keimon's voice broke off with the sound of a slap and then another man's voice, this one deeper and lower and indecipherable through the door, and then Keimon was agreeing and a pair of footsteps walked away.

Justice composed herself quickly from the slight shock of the interaction as the door slowly started to open. She saw the cheerful façade he had up quickly fade away as he saw her and closed the door.

"I didn't expect to see you-" He started.

"So soon?" She interrupted.

He shrugged, looking down. "Ever."

"I've broken your trust." Justice said.

He shrugged again. "I think I did it first."

"Why are you standing so far away?"

"Oh, I- I thought- I didn't think you'd- want me to be any closer to you, cause I'm-"

"I don't think you're nasty, Keimon-san." Justice said. "Can I ask you something?"

"Mhm."

"Come closer."

He did.

Justice looked up into his eyes and took into account his mannerisms- he was quieter than usual, his posture was steadier, he wasn't shaking. His pupils were large but not unnaturally so- it was probably just because of the darkness in the room.

"How sober are you?" She asked.

"I dunno."

"Spell your name."

"Kabuto is spelled with the characters for helmet, and Keimon is spelled with the characters for bedroom."

"Count to 100."

He started and it was going pretty well until he got to the 60s.

He stopped and looked down after a few mess ups and murmured that he couldn't.

She got up to leave, fastening her jacket, but stopped when he caught her arm.

"Please don't go.."

"Keimon-san, let go of me. I told you we'd speak again when you were sober."

"I'm trying!" He wailed. "Please, I'm trying, I promise, but it's really hard! And I can't keep myself motivated to keep trying if I can't be sure that you'll still keep visiting me! Please, this is the only good part of my day, I can't lose you."