Chapter-3

"Although I still have my doubts, but after doing my research on different religions I have found Islam to be comparatively better than others." Sarim replied to my inquiry about his religious beliefs and I felt my eyebrows raising in wonder.

"What about you?"

"Um..I am a little religiously inclined. Striving to be actually..." I gulped down the lump stuck in my throat and resumed strolling around the drawing room, with the cellphone pressed against my ear.

"Oh, yeah. Your mother mentioned that you spend all night praying. And you're doing hifz too." He added with the slightest hint of surprise, referring to my mother's comment about me praying nawafil and reading Quran during the nights of Ramadan.

"Not all night—She might have exaggerated a bit..." My voice trailed off towards the end, as I paused to chew the inside of my cheek.

It was my second official year going through the excruciatingly torturing process of 'Rishta hunt'. By now, I had gone through more than 50 proposals and had not found even one person I liked.

My loathe for this humiliating and degrading process of selecting the right spouse wasn't a secret from my parents. Even if I said nothing, my face gave everything away. And although my parents understood where I was coming from, their hands were unfortunately tied. This was the only way they knew how to fulfill their obligation. My 3 elder sisters went through the same hell of getting presented in front of every Tom, Dick and Harry or their parents, before finally finding their Mr. Right.

One such unfortunate case was this guy I was currently talking to because my parents thought him to be a perfect match for me.

Sarim was only 5 years old when his parents had sent him to a prestigious boarding school for boys. His parents were quite well off and he was their only child. After living most of his life in the boarding school, he went to the US to pursue his graduation degree and returned to take care of the family business.

"...Last time you said you weren't fasting..." I continued in a small voice, referring to the time they came to our place the first time. It was during Ramadan and still before Iftar time when they had arrived. Dad had asked them only by the way if we needed to prepare tea, just in case they weren't fasting. To which, his mother replied that she was unable to fast because of some medical condition. That's why she 'made someone else fast in her stead to make up for them.'

After hearing that for a few moments it became really hard for me to keep a straight face. Yet, another blow came when Dad asked Sarim if he was fasting.

"I don't lie, Uncle. So, I will be honest with you. I am not fasting."

While my Dad was busy appreciating him for his honesty, I was sitting in my seat across from him and gaping at him dumbfounded, after he had elaborated that it wasn't a medical condition that was keeping him from fasting.

"Yeah. In my opinion its most important to be a good human. Praying, fasting and the rest is a personal choice." He continued smoothly and I slowly blinked at his words.

"Some of my friends would just pray for an upcoming exam, or when they were going through some difficulty they wanted ease for. I really found it hypocritical to be honest. I don't believe in this sort of pretentious worshiping." His tone was laced with a hint of annoyance. I should've told him that it's better to admit to one's helplessness, even if once in a blue moon and turning to the One who held all power; than never realising your own limitations as a mere mortal. Yet, I kept my mouth clamped shut.

"Actually, there are so many religious people I've come across who had been so observing of their religious practices, yet had questionable morals. I mean what's the use of all your prayers and sermons when you can't show common curtesy to a waiter? They are usually so full of themselves and think they have been granted a free pass to rule judgement on those who don't fall into their standard of goodness." A sigh escaped my lips at his words and I closed my eyes. I completely understood where he was coming from; yet, I didn't think he was free from error either.