4: The Offer

"Alright, what do you want, Sergeant?" Vega asked, her voice still tight with suspicion. She had relaxed slightly, but she was still on her guard.

"In the past three weeks, has anyone from the 21st district contacted you?" Stillwell asked.

Vega raised an eyebrow. "No, why?"

"So you haven't heard about what happened to Detective Sheldon Jin?" Stillwell asked, his eyes narrowing.

"Sheldon who?" Vega asked, tilting her head.

"Detective Sheldon Jin," Stillwell explained. "He worked in the intelligence unit."

"Oh, right. Jin," Vega said, her expression hardening.

"What about him?" Valerie asked, her voice tinged with curiosity.

"Three weeks ago, he was found dead," Stillwell said, his voice grave.

Valerie's eyes widened in shock. "Are you serious?" she asked, her gasp echoing through the empty parking lot.

"Well, what happened to him?" she asked, her voice laced with concern.

"If you think I had anything to do with it, then you've got the wrong person," she said defensively, her jaw clenching. "I don't have anything to tell you. I didn't know Sheldon that well."

"So I can't be much help."

"You're not in trouble, and I'm not here to question you either," Stillwell said.

Valerie raised an eyebrow. "You're not?" she asked, her skepticism evident.

"I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but what are you getting at?"

"I want you to help me," Stillwell said, his eyes pleading. "You see, Jin was my informant, but since he's no longer around, I need you to help me."

Vega held up her hand. "Okay, I need you to stop right there," she said, her voice firm. "I have this gut feeling that you're scheming something, and I don't want to be a part of it. I'm leaving." Nice talking to you

She turned to walk away, but Stillwell stopped her. "Don't you want that spot in intelligence?" he asked.

Vega scoffed. "Are you kidding me?" she said, turning back to face him.

"Jin's gone now, so that opens up a spot for you?"

"Look, Stillwell, or whatever your name is," she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm, "I'm going to get my chance to be part of intelligence, but I'm going to do it the right way. And can you just tell me what you want already?"

Valerie shoved her hands in her pockets, her eyes flashing with anger. "I skipped out on an appointment to come here, and you're not giving me anything worth my time," she said, her voice taut with tension.

"I simply want Hank Voight," Stillwell said, his voice calm and collected.

Vega raised an eyebrow. "What makes you think I can help you with that? And more importantly, what makes you think I'll even help you?"

"You're already close to the Voights," Stillwell said, his eyes narrowing. "I need you to get closer."

"I also did a bit of a background check," he continued. "Like Sheldon, you're very skilled technologically. Possibly even better than Jin."

Vega laughed bitterly. "Okay, so what does this have to do with Voight?" she asked.

"I need you to find something on him," Stillwell said, his voice hardening. "Something worth taking him out."