Chapter 23

This morning marked the day I, after much debate, got to plan my own wedding. In other words, Enzo is letting me pick the invitations, and then I have an appointment at the bridal salon to pick my dress in the afternoon. Since the wedding is only two months out, I cannot have a dress made for me, which sounded nice considering Niccolò played dress-up with me in a wedding dress not too long ago - and not long enough ago.

In Enzo's fancy leather chair at his desk, I stared at nine different wedding invitations laid out in a flawless grid before me. Almost all of them were Christmas or winter-themed, and they were beautiful, but I was only getting married in December because it had to be before my birthday.

"You keep eyeing this one," Enzo gestured to the fifth option with his knuckle from the opposite side of the desk. He watched my eyes the entire time I sat and reviewed the different cards.

"It's just so cool," I giggled. "I've never seen a transparent card and the gold ink gives it a regal touch. I always wanted to look like a princess on my wedding day."

Enzo smirked at me and mused, "You could've just said you liked it, and I would've made it happen."

"You're spoiling me."

"Should I make you work for something then? We still have a few minutes until your appointment." In an instant, I averted my eyes and turned my blushing cheeks to the desk.

"Your face is flush, amore mio. Are you unwell? I'll call a doctor."

I stood up from the chair and it skidded against the floor. Enzo licked his lips and continued to watch my embarrassment with sheer amusement. Bumbling for the door, I tried to run. Enzo grabbed my arm.

"Kiss me," he demanded.

"You can't just order me around like that."

"I can, and I did."

With a kiss as the price to pay, I was free from Enzo's office and heading to the bridal salon. Angelo drove me and refused to play the radio no matter how I begged him.

In the car with us, Enzo's mom stared at me throughout the entire ride. Her judgment was blatant on her face. She didn't approve of me from the start. She kept making remarks in Italian that I didn't understand. All the while, Angelo reminded her to speak in English when she was in my presence as Enzo ordered.

I just wished I knew what she wanted, or what I could do to make her see me as something other than the woman tarnishing her son's name.

At the bridal salon, I met up with my mother, Aunt Gioia, Jade, and all my cousins who decided to be my bridesmaids. Of course, Jade was the self-appointed maid of honor and I wouldn't have it any other way.

We had our own room for the entire experience. The attendants served mimosas and had all twelve of us pile onto a long curved white sofa. In the center of the room was a circular platform for the bride-to-be to showcase dresses. On the opposite wall from the sofa, a large mirror hung.

A blonde woman greeted us like we were on 'Say Yes to the Dress'. She asked me all these questions about Enzo and how we met. It was a little awkward to muddy the truth with romantic fluff, but it had to be done.

"Is there a price range for the budget?" The attendant asked with a soft sweetness.

Mrs. Vitale laughed to herself as I answered, "There's no budget."

Everyone eyed Mrs. Vitale, including the attendant. To end her rudeness, Jade chirped, "Well, we can't all marry a rich man!"

My cousins laughed and Aunt Gioia took all the credit for setting Enzo and I up. In the lull, the attendant continued to get more information, "Do you have a certain style you're looking for?"