♚ A Case of Vagrancy and Vacancy ♚

Behind the intelligent, composed façade given off by New Scotland Yard, everyone was panicking. And no one was panicking more than Detective Inspector Liguori.

He paced back and forth in his office, terrified of what was to come. With the body count increasing, the pressure from the public was ever growing. No one blinked an eye when the first murder was committed. A depressed woman with no family, and few friends was hardly going to stir the public’s attention. Half-hearted investigations began back then. DI Liguori speculated that there was no doubt it was her landlord. Only when he was declared dead from five years before did he think it might not be so.

Before he could suspect someone else, another body was found - the body of a fifteen year old boy.

That was when the media decided to get involved. Their pages ran wild with every development. Accusations were thrown at anyone who could move. No one could tell what was true and what wan't. Unfortunately, the media interest didn't diminish. It only magnified - so much so that the story had even reached Australia. Currently lying on his desk were five different newspapers, some international, published on that day. Unsurprisingly, the front page for each was to do with the case.

‘Pete the Poisoner’ Takes Seventh Victim

Recent Murders To Be Adapted Into Major Motion Picture?

‘Pete the Poisoner’ Is An Immigrant, According To Leading Politician

BREAKING NEWS: Is Mass Murder Local Ex-Doctor Phil?

Poisoner’s “Mission To Kill” Yet To Be Revealed

Averting his eyes from the newspapers, Liguori rubbed his temple. In two weeks he’d aged five years. He reckoned he’d look like an old man by the end of the case - if it ever did come to an end. It might never be solved, like 'Jack the Ripper'. Or he might be fired before it’d been solved. Or he might have a stroke if the stress became too much.

For the millionth time that week, he wished he’d chosen to be an animator instead of a detective. Drawing was a lot easier than investigating. People's lives weren't dependent on an animator's work. He could see no downside to that career.

Before he could start imagining the creations he would've brought to life, a hot-tempered woman stormed in.  He smiled, as he always did, trying to keep his cool. "How can I help you, Sargent Sugg?"

Zoe Sugg regarded him bitterly, not happy in the slightest. “They want to know if you've got any new theories.”

“Nope, none.”

“For goodness sake Peej, why not? Have you seen the headlines?” Sugg held up another newspaper. Is Scotland Yard Actually Doing Anything To Solve The Murders?

Liguori motioned for her to put it away. He couldn't stand being mocked by the papers anymore. “Let them talk. I can’t tell them anything new.”

“What about the suspect from the most recent crime? Are there any leads there?”

“Have you seen the guy? I highly doubt he’s involved. He looks as harmful as a pansy.”

“Pansy’s are harmful if you've got hay fever.”

“Luckily for you, I don’t. And neither do you.”

“Maybe the victims did-”

“We’re not going down that route. And we’re not having this discussion any longer.”

“Well what are we going to do? We’re running out of options here.”

Liguori was well aware of that fact. He’d been aware of that for a while. After thinking about it for hours on end, he’d resigned himself to the only answer left. Reluctantly, he said “There’s still one option we haven’t considered yet.”