12: Modern Day Delilah

This chapter is dedicated to sincerelyleia, whose writing continually destroys me. Have y'all read Rearranging Hearts? It's too good.

As always, words written in italics are in another language. This time, it's Greek.

Trigger warning: this is a continuation of chapter 11. There is going to be a mention of sexual violence.

Song: "Modern Day Delilah" by Kiss

_____

North

I didn't think my knuckles could get any whiter.

My grip on the steering wheel was strong as I looked over at the woman in the passenger seat next to me.

She was dressed in a short little white dress that left nothing to the imagination with regard to her curves, with fuck-me heels on her feet. She looked every bit the devil's angel Silas had whisperingly called her that first night in the strip club. Maybe more so, now, with her blonde hair mussed and cascading around her shoulders.

I seethed as I tore my gaze from her. She looked calm—too calm for the way she'd behaved tonight, as if my brother didn't exist—as she typed something out on her phone.

I held back a scoff. She wasn't just fucking with his feelings; she was fucking with all of them.

The four of them had looked at her like she'd hung the moon, then ripped it from the sky. The part of me that still loved Kota, Victor, and Gabriel as brothers mourned for them, but the majority of my attention and worry was centered on Luke. I remembered the way he'd spoken of her, positive that she was the one, that this was the girl he was destined to be with. Forever and always, he'd said.

What a load of bullshit.

I remembered even more clearly the call. The one where he'd cried and sworn—Luke never swore—because she'd left him with a fucking note. She couldn't even afford him the time of day to tell him to his face. Whether it was because she was a coward or didn't care for him, or both, I didn't know. All I knew was she had destroyed him, and didn't even stick around long enough to witness the wreckage.

She certainly was pretty; you'd have to be a fool not to see that. There must have been something special about her to capture the attention of not only my brother, but my former teammates. I was sure she was intelligent. She was, of course, an Academy bird.

Beyond that, though, I had no desire to learn who she was. She had broken my brother's heart without even blinking, and that was more than enough for me. I knew all I needed to know about her with that.

She quietly but firmly cleared her throat. "I assume you intend on taking me to see your team, since you haven't asked me where I need to go." I grunted but made no response. "Well, we should stop at Taco Bell and get some food then." She pointed ahead to the pink and purple sign. I supposed she had a point.

I begrudgingly asked her what she wanted, only for her to distractedly reply that anything would be fine, as we pulled into the parking lot. She glanced around the lot a few times and reached for her bag, stating that she had to use the restroom. I rolled my eyes and put the vehicle in park, then went to the counter to order as she scurried off to the bathroom.

It didn't escape my notice that every guy in the place had his eyes glued to her from the second we walked in.

Upon receiving the order and Sang's return from the bathroom, we went back to the car. I messed with the radio to fill the silence. "Modern Day Delilah" by Kiss filled the car, and I snorted. She eyed me warily but said nothing, instead pulling out her phone and texting someone.