•the awestruck general•

Dull gold and silver streamers made from the finest tissue fabric were tied from the humongous trees, lowered over the towering walls and tied to the trims of the windows. Crows and doves alike sat on the tight strings their beaks opened as they sang songs of praise. Melodies of all sorts filled the atmosphere, the air whistling through between the tree branches and leaves brushed through grazing the cheeks of the women and men. Bricked stairs opened into the central ground, surrounded by lush green thicket of trees. A multitude of men thronged the grounds setting large tables of goods they traded in.

From lace to chiffon. Jewels and beads were plenty. Baked clay cups filled to the brim with tea steeped beverages. Cardamom diffused from the tea stations and tickled all senses. The bright summery colors of pinks and oranges, yellows, green unfurled over the tables and well dressed men in their maroon waistcoats with embroidery and silken hats waved thin peacock feathers to move the still air. Wiping their foreheads with linen cloths. They sipped teas and munched on the pistachios served to them on silver platters, their well oiled mustaches curved towards the sky and they spoke to each other in soft, rhyming sentences.

A large raised floor had been set up with wooden lounging chairs. They were covered on three sides with engraved wooden fences, one side left open for easy access. A thick feather filled mattress was placed on the large bench with thin floor cushions. The maroon covers contrasted with the dark wood. Women lounged on the chaises, servants of all kinds thronged behind them with serving trays while slaves fanned the royal families. Trays of grapes and sliced watermelon were presented to Princess Alishba, who sat amongst the royal family. She grinned at the family, their traditions were so different from what she was used to.

With ginger fingers she held the ripened apple. The bright red color of the honey crisp apple turned the shades of May Sun and her fingers warmed holding it's skin. She bit into it softly, the juice dripped down her crescent shaped lips. She wiped away with the back of her hand instantly. The bright magenta hexagon neckline floor length dress hid the ends of her feet. The dress was simple as compared to the extravagant ones the King's daughter's wore, but it was still as expensive. Her hands twirled the opulent crystal glasses that served the pale yellow kehva.

"Princess Alishba do you want to go have a closer look at those stalls?" Princess Saleeha spoke.

Saleeha was the twin sister of princess Safa and the two were the carbon copy of each other. With long, waist length inky hair that spiraled at the end. Their eyes were oval and huge on their naturally contoured faces. The cheekbones prominent with the apples of their cheeks sunken in. The two were twenty one years of age and dressed in a light gold lehnga with a small gold blouse that barely kept their breasts in place. Thin veils tucked into their waistbands and crossed over the opposite shoulder.

"I'd love to see everything," she replied.

Saleeha and Safa stepped off of the bench, taking the velvet pouches in hand that were filled to the brim with minted coins, given to them by their father to spend on themselves and the chief guest. Alishba trained behind them, straightening the ends of her loose dress. The purple embroidered shoes crushed the dewy grass under their weight. Her guards rushed up behind her with fans in hand, fanning her as she strolled through the crowds.

The gates had been opened for the nobility of the kingdom. Women from some of the most affluent houses had been invited for the event, a show of the King's might. He wanted to convince the Persians of his influence — to give physical proof of what he had. His subjects lived a cushioned life owning some of the most expensive fabrics and jewels. The physical show of wealth and strength impressed Alishba as she conversed with the women who fingered the garments. Her eyes blurred with the glitters that gleamed under the bright sunlight. Alishba hummed in reply, nodding her head occasionally as her attention remained fixated on the well built guards standing behind the gates.