•the future queen meets the estranged princess•

Bold fiery red chilies were crushed in a thick mortar, the pestle grinding until it was not smoothed into a fine dust. The man shoved the spice into a banana leaf bowl, another was filled to the brim with thick yogurt and fried dough. Sliced cabbage and thin slices of unripe mango were thrown in. Heavy silver cutlery accompanied the tray as the mans serves served the royal family. The fried crushed dough topped on the dahi bharay added a hint of color on the plain white canvas. Specks of the orange spice blend had been mixed into it, a sweet tamarind sauce came with it. It was the perfect, cool summery delight to beat the burning heat.

Alishba's eyes were trained on the crowd that walked at a turtle's pace. She rubbed her chin the ruby ring glittering under the setting sun. It looked like a drop of fresh, pure royal blood. The gold band was like a streak of blonde hair, the undertone of yellow made it appear cooler against her whitish skin. Licking the edges of her lips, she brushed through the crowd. Her hands grazing the jewelry on display. Chandelier earrings of one particular design caught her eye, their rusty antique finish — courtesy of the bronze polish would go well with the dress she had brought for the reception tomorrow evening.

Tracing the etched in curves and ridges of the large ear wrapping earrings, she put them against her earlobe. Looking at the fancy mirror, imagining how she would look in truth. They were slightly too oval for her face structure making her jaw jut out in a manner almost alien. Her eyes looked hollow and she frowned at her reflection, discarding the jewels. As future Queen she had to look her best at all times, being presented with a gift that made her look ugly would have the presenter thrown in prison back in her own country.  With her knuckle she dug into the tablecloth, dragging along to the ends of it, lifting a thin bronze hoop that was larger than a Persian Daric. It had mini circles hanging from one end, a centre piece of tiny lapis lazuli's.

"This will look stunning on you, your Highness," the vendor grinned.

Alishba held her disgust at bay  upon seeing the broken, gutka stained teeth. Wrinkling her nose the slightest, hiding the action by her silken handkerchief she nodded her head. Raising the frame to her ear, she slid the thin band in. A satisfied grin managed to find its way on her stoic face. She found the way the gems brought her cool undertones out riveting. It was unlike anything she had ever seen before, simply magical. Out of everything she had viewed this spoke to her the most. It's thin, delicate frame but expensive raw material was the perfect definition of who she was. While her build was fragile, Alishba was a sturdy figure at heart and a rarity much like the jewel.

"How much?" She raised her eyebrow.

Judging by the flush on the man's cheek, Alishba knew he had never dealt with such an outspoken customer. He lowered his head and fiddled with his hands, tied at his stomach. Stumbling over his words, the young man informed the price. Shaking her head she threw a coin at him. He stared, stunned on seeing the coin flip in the air and fall straight into his clay pot. Winking in his direction she threw the earrings at her most loyal maid, leading the entourage of women who all but threw themselves at her.

"Aap ka apnay upad itna itimaad hai?" A soft voice fell on her ears.

[Do you have so much trust on yourself?]

Being questioned by a meek Indian, for the first time had Alishba smirking. Finally someone who was at her level, someone she could enjoy conversing with rather than having parrots — much like the one her uncle kept, all they knew was to nod their heads and mutter hums in agreement.

"Mujhe apnay par hai? Iska jawab nahi de sakti. Magar itna zaroor janti hun keh eik Maharani ko apna haq lena aana chahiye," she replied.