From Thy Bounty

"Timothy, are you awake." I open my eyes, Helen is standing over me, shaking me. Sitting up, I pull away from her slightly. "I am now, why?" The statement comes out more bitter than I intended. The phone rings from downstairs and she leaves to answer it. 

I found myself thinking about Ned and everything that happened last night. Maybe it was all a crazy dream. I stand and walk to the bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror. Dark purple hickeys coat my neck, proof that everything that happened was real. 

Walking downstairs, I pass Helen, who immediately notices the marks. She hangs up the phone and grabs my arm. "What the hell are those?" She points at them. "Are you cheating on me?"
I cover the marks with my hand, not that it matters, she's already seen them. "I-If I told you how I got them, you wouldn't believe me." She scowls at me, "I didn't even want them, it just happened." No matter how I explain it, she won't understand. And it's not like I can tell her that Ned is the devil and he's in love with me. She'd think I was insane. 

"Do you love her? The lady that you're having an affair with?" Helen asks out of nowhere. "I'm not having an affair, it was nothing more than a mistake." I start to walk away, fed up with this conversation. As I start to descend the staircase to the basement, Helen calls after me, "But do you love her?

I don't know how to answer, so I continue walking.
In the basement, I begin to mess with my model trains, trying to forget everything that's happening.

"I don't think I've ever been in your basement." A voice says from behind me. Turning, I see Ned sitting on top of a table. In the light, I could get a better look at him. He pretty much looks the same but with a cliche tail and horns. I catch myself staring at his abs and turn my head. "What are you doing here, Ned?" 

He smiles at me, "I said I'd be back, so here I am." Standing, he puts an arm around me. "So, what do you want to do today?" Confused, I ask, "Excuse me?" He chuckles, "Scared to be seen with the diddliy-devil?" I blush slightly, "No, well yes, but I think I should stay in the basement. My wife is mad at me right now." 

"Why let her ruin your day? We should go somewhere and forget about her." He questions, wagging his tail slightly.  "I guess we could go out, but where could we go? No offense, but I don't want people to think I'm crazy for hanging out with the devil. Not to mention the fact that I'm a Reverend." 

"And I can't just show up in my normal clothes because everyone thinks I'm dead. Well, this sure is a de-idily-lemma." He thinks for a second before continuing, "I guess we could stay in the basement, for now." I pull away from him and walk over to my model trains. Picking up one, I get struck with an idea.  

"There's a museum that's out of town, it's mostly empty since, well, people find museums boring." I find myself imagining walking through the museum, holding hands with the devil, and it didn't seem half bad. "Ooh, and that gives me a chance to brush up on my history." Ned laughs, his tail wagging faster. Why does he have to be cute? He's Satan, the one man I'm supposed to hate. 

I think about the fight Helen and I had this morning, "There is one problem, how do I leave the house without my wife confronting me." Ned smiles at me, "Just say you're going out for a drive." I nod, that sounds like a good excuse. 

"I'll meet you there."