9: The Game

Annabeth POV

My opinion of Percy changed drastically in the past month. I realized that he was more than a playboy. He had substance, and he knew how to treat women properly.

He brought me flowers and took me on a respectful date to a place that I appreciated. Even though it wasn't his cup of tea, he still stayed with me at the convention. If this was how he treated his girlfriends, then I didn't blame them for falling for him.

No wonder Rachel was so upset after their breakup.

Regardless, I still had mixed views of him. I was between two extremes.

Thalia interpreted this date as another way to get close to me. She thought that he was trying to sleep with me, and this was a simple tactic. Piper believed that Percy was a genuinely nice guy who wanted to get along with me.

I didn't know what to think. I was leaning towards Piper's optimistic point of view. However, I was stuck in this deal. If I lose, then I'll have to sleep with him.

I refuse to let that happen.

"Hey, Piper, where do you want the food?" I asked.

"Oh, the chips and snacks go on the island kitchen. The pizzas will arrive soon, and Jason will put those at the dining table," Piper responded.

We were setting up for the party.

It's been one month since Percy's friends and my friends united. Everyone was getting along relatively well, and our friend group worked. I was happy about becoming friends with Percy's friends (even the Stolls).

People came slowly, and Percy was the last to arrive. He was dressed in simple jeans and a blue hoodie. Even though Piper's house was warm, he didn't remove his hoodie.

"It's so comfortable in here. Why are you still wearing the coat?" I asked.

Everyone was getting settled with snacks in the large living room. Piper lived in a mansion considering her dad was Tristan McLean, a famous actor. His Academy Award was shining on the fireplace mantle.

"I'm feeling a bit cold," Percy said quickly. His hands instinctually pulled the sleeves over his palms. It was weird. It was almost like he was hiding his arms.

"What are you talking about? It's so warm and cozy."

Percy shook his head and smirked. "Wise Girl, is this your way of getting me to strip? You know, you could directly ask me if you want to see my body."

I rolled my eyes before gently punching his right arm.

Percy turned away quickly. His right arm pressed against his stomach as he used his left hand to grab some chips from Grover. I couldn't see his face anymore.

However, something felt a bit off.

My interest was spiking, but I didn't have any leverage to ask him questions. After all, we were barely friends. Besides, it's not a secret that Percy's weird and stupid sometimes.

"Hey, everyone, please settle into a circle. We're playing truth or dare," Piper announced.

Several groans were relayed from the group, but no one objected. This was Piper's party, and no one can ever deny her requests. She had a persuasive power in her voice.

Everyone sat in a loud and large circle with a bottle in the middle.

"I'm so excited," Will squealed.

Will Solace loved to have a good time. He was mature and intelligent, but he didn't shy away from parties and games. To be honest, truth or dare was probably his idea. Will always loved stirring drama.