19: The Third Date

Percy POV

I was feeling depressed. Cycles of sadness were symptoms of having a dying mother and a narcissistic step-dad. I wanted to cry all the time.

But, I was a man. So what? a voice echoed in my mind. Just because you cry doesn't make you any less of a man. Still, I refused to feel sad.

I was struggling to sleep recently, which didn't help my mood. Every time that I closed my eyes, my mind wandered to all the shit in my life. I couldn't stop thinking about how I wasn't safe in my own home and how my mom was in pain all the time.

Furthermore, a stupid virus invaded my mind, body, and soul. And, that virus's name is Annabeth Chase.

I couldn't stop thinking about her.

Even now, Annabeth was in my mind. I was visiting my mom at the hospital and telling her about my day. I failed a math test, and my mom wasn't even surprised. She just gave me a sad, cancerous look of disapproval.

"Percy, something's bothering you. I know my son," she whispered. Her voice was hoarse and raspy, and she couldn't speak too loudly anymore.

I usually tell my mom everything. The only secret that I ever kept from her was Gabe's abuse. She didn't need to know that even though it was a pretty big deal.

Everything else was fair game. She already knew about Annabeth, and my frustrating feelings for her.

"I'm thinking about Annabeth being a pain in my ass," I replied. "And, not the good kind."

My mom chuckled as I helped her sit up. She was doing a lot better today. She was talking and laughing about the stories that I was telling her.

Her hand reached forward and stroked my cheek. I melted into her touch. It's been so long since I felt her motherly affection.

"Your crush on Annabeth is so cute," my mother whispered.

"MOM!"

"I'm serious, honey. It's been so long since you've talked about a girl with me. She must be very special if you can't stop thinking about her."

"You think a lot about people you hate as well," I muttered.

"The difference is that I see love in your eyes," she countered. "I ship this relationship. Hopefully, it will set sail soon."

My mom laughed at my surprised expression. This was so embarrassing, but I didn't mind. This was the perk of having a cool mom. She understood me, and she knew how to joke around.

It was astonishing that my mom could still turn into a teenage girl at times. I guess that's what Annbeth's and my relationship did to people.

Percabeth transforms people into squealing fangirls.

"OH MY GOD, MAMA. You're talking like a teenage girl," I chuckled.

My mom laughed again before bursting into a fit of coughs. The tubes around her body stretched while she leaned to the side of the bed. I held her in place firmly as she threw up into a trashcan. My mom had a chemo session earlier today.

Vomiting is a common side effect of her treatment (not her cancer).

The conversation continued like this. Overall, it was a rare good visit to the hospital. Yup, even though my mom was throwing up and coughing half the time, this was a good visit. That should tell you how bad things are.

As I walked home, I thought about my mom's wishes. She wanted to meet Annabeth, and she wanted me to be happy with her. I sighed before shaking my head.