21| The start of a tragic story.

"OW!" she yelped, falling over as she struggled to slip on the tight cheer skirt, wiggling it up and over her hips

she let out a sigh of relief, tying her shoes quickly as she let her hair fall down from its ponytail, putting on a forced smile as she stared at herself in the mirror.

a groan left her lips, grabbing her bag. her confidence was low, as much as her mood was. the past summer contained of caroline hanging out with everyone, but, pacey.

the two hadn't talked for months. after the fight that night, she refused to answer his calls. then, when it was her turn to try and apologize, he ignored her. they both had given up trying for to save the friendship, and caroline had more important things to focus on.

it didn't help that fact that right now, pacey and dawson were having a conversation down in the kitchen. caroline had to try her best to avoid him, even occasionally jumping out of her window to avoid the boys presence.

but, as any normal human being, she needed food.

she sucked in a breath, closing her eyes before stepping down the stairs, trying her best to ignore the two teenage boys.

"i think you underestimate the healing powers of time, dawson. you know, time for joey to forgive and forget" she heard from the other side of the wall, slowing down her walking once she heard her name being brought up in the conversation.

"you know, pacey. you don't really have a right to say that, if you don't do the same"

pacey scoffed, shaking his head. "there's a big difference between caroline and i, compared to you and joey"

"who said i was talking about caroline?" she could practically hear the smirk dawson had on his face, but it dropped immediately once caroline walked in, sulking over to the fridge without words being exchanged.

caroline could feel their eyes on her, but she refused to meet them. trying to move as fast as she could out of the kitchen, she caught the glance of pacey, feeling as if time had stopped in those moments.

she missed his green eyes, and how memorized she would get by them. she never got the feeling she felt with griffin when looking into his eyes, only pacey. she always brushed it off as best friend flutters, as of course, that's all they ever have been, and ever will be.

she swiftly made her way out of the home, starting up the car and driving herself to capeside high, for the first day of many this year.

...

caroline's eyes had froze on the dancing girl in the middle of the stage, not knowing what to do in the moment as her fellow cheerleaders laughed at the poor girl.

a sound of a horn made the blonde jump, turning to belinda mcgovern, who was sadly, the co-captain the of cheerleading team. caroline hated her guts, in all honesty.