Chapter 45

Kenton's Point Of View

My sister is alive.

The house is quiet. Practically pleasant.

Right now I'm sitting in Annica's room looking at all of the drawings that we've accumulated once again. The main thing that they all have in common is that they're all of dead people.

But all can really think about is the fact that the only person that I've ever spent so many hours mourning over, is alive.

I can't be any happier.

"Hey Kenton," Annica plops down beside me with two cups of tea in her hands. "Did you figure out some more identities of our mystery people here?" I guiltily slump my shoulders, "Not really. I've been kinda aloof about this. Sorry about that." But being her this just makes her smile, "Of course. You just found out that your supposedly dead sister is alive! I would be over the moon!" I let a toothless smile form on my face, "Yup. I guess I was frustrated at first because I felt like it was such a waste for myself to cry over a situation that never happened. And why didn't you tell me about the whole 'Oh I saved this little girl that ended up being your sister' sh*t?" My language off sets her, "Um. First off, language please. And second I had no clue that she was your sister. So don't use that card on me! Got that young man?"

Young man? She sounds like my mom!

"Well sorry . . . Mother." I joke. She shoots me this look, "Mother? I am not your mom. That would just be awkward. And speaking of moms you look nothing like yours."

"So? Some kids don't look like their parents."

"How 'bout your dad? You don't look like him either?"

"Nope. Not even close. And don't start thinking that I was adopted."

"But I seriously feel like you never came into this world through your mom. I don't believe it. C'mon you're like 6ft.5 and your mom looks like she's 5ft. 2. Big difference there!"

"But my dad."

"He's 6ft. I'm just guessing."

"Yes. You're right. Happy? My height could've skipped a generation. I probably got that from my dad's parents, but I don't know 'cause my grandparents don't want anything to do with my dad. And even if they weren't my parents who'd you suspect them to be?"

Somehow this last sentence makes me pause for a second, my memory immediately going back to the drawings. The only one that irks me is the one with the woman on it. Annica said that she looks a lot like me and now that I think very carefully I'm nearly a spitting image of her!

"No." I state simply out of the blue. Annica scrunches up her nose, "What? I didn't say anything!" I clamp my eyes shut, "Did you think that the woman in the dead drawings was my mom?!" I glare at her as she slowly chomps down on her bottom lip, "I may have . . ?"