chapter two

It was months after the Grimoire Acceptance Ceremony. Freya was practicing each day since then, making large clouds that make the task of watering plants much easier. As for you, you're mastering the ability to summon a vast number of butterflies with your magical attribute. Which you can do with ease because of the immense amount of mana you have. You usually practice inside the forest to hide from the blonde's eye. You don't want her to know that you heed her wishes to try the Magic Knights Entrance Exam, it will only make her inflate her ego. Nobody wants that.

Laid at the lush grass with tall trees surrounding you, you lift a finger and summon a lone blue-colored wing butterfly, whose wing slowly flutters but remained perched on your finger.

-

It was nighttime.

You and Freya were supposed to be at home.

Ms. Sho told the two of you to stay put inside while she sells some of the freshly picked flowers down the nearby store. To buy some dinner, the woman arranged the grown flowers that the three of you got from your field. The money you'll get from it wasn't that grand, only a couple of coins to buy yourselves some loaf and water if she managed to sell it to the unkind old lady. But Ms. Sho was taking too long and Freya was getting too hungry to remain stayed put in the worn house. Being the adventurous little kid that she is, she managed to coax a quiet kid like you into her mission.

When you were much younger, Freya's mother brought you two on her trips on the market to sell plants so even now, you knew the direction and the outskirts you could take to get there. Despite the one who thought of getting out of the house and away from the warmth it offers, the blonde-haired kid with you was afraid of being separated from you and has a tight grip on your small hands. (You voiced out that she must've brought you along with her so that she wasn't alone, she just squeaked and shyly nodded. You could only sigh the longest sigh that a kid your age could muster.) Upon reaching the last turn before reaching the flower shop, a scream made the two of you stop in your tracks. Freya, who was already a shaking mess before, looked close to fainting. She was shaking and your heart couldn't take it to make her peak to see what's going on on the other side.

You pushed her and yourself flush on the wall and carefully peaked at the edge.

It was three drunk grown men. They were swaying on their feet, flushed faces, and smelled funny (their disgusting smells were that pungent). What makes your eyes widen was the familiar face by their feet. Ms. Sho was seated on the ground, crying as she desperately tried to collect the fallen flowers that were once a part of a presentable bundle. Your eyes were easily filled with tears as the men stomped on the plants that the three of you take care of, watered daily, and talked to on the daily basis. Seeing the woman who gave her all into raising you and those plants that are currently under the filthy shoes of the laughing men is an insult that you couldn't take and wouldn't accept as long as you live.

Full of rage, you ran to the crying woman and frantically pushed and punched the legs that are standing over what your family worked hard for. You didn't mind the string of curses from the men, the surprised acknowledgment from the woman nor the terrified cries of the crying blonde child behind the wall.

"What do you think you're doing, brat?!" one of the men screamed as he flipped you off his foot. You ignore the outburst and hurriedly salvaged the flowers that you could still sell. "You tainted my precious clothes, you filthy peasant!"

Thankfully, a handful of the remaining flowers are safe and can still be bought. You looked for the disregarded newspaper to put the flowers but then a sound of a slap echoed. You heard the sound of impact before the actual pain that began to blossom in your cheek as your vision was turned to the paper was now looking at the ground. Your face felt hot and is stinging. Your flesh felt swollen and you wince as you touch it. You didn't notice the shocked faces of your family as they witness how the nobles treat a kid such as your age.