hundred sixty-three

Y/N felt like she was going to explode for the next couple of days after the new Captain America reveal. They had immediately through him onto a tour, much like they had done with Steve all those years ago. News channels, papers, websites, blogs, podcasts, everyone was asking for Y/N and Steve's opinion on the new Captain America. Hell, they would honestly take any of the Avengers opinions, but they really wanted the Rogers twins. All the Avengers had agreed not to make a statement because they didn't need to cause a huge up roar.

Y/N was trying not to blow up, especially as she couldn't get a hold of Steve. She couldn't even track him down with her powers but that could have been because she was so all over the place and was struggling to focus on one thing. She was currently sitting in her office, trying to figure out how to deal with all of this new ordeal. The news was playing an interview with the new Captain America, John Walker. They were interviewing him at his old high school's football field. The stadium was filled with cheering spectators and the band played and danced around as Walker ran up to the stage in the middle of the field. There was a giant American flag being held behind them and Y/N felt like she was going to throw up.

"Ladies and gentlemen..." The news anchor welcomed, "your new Captain America!"

"Good morning, America!" Walker shouted.

The crowd went crazy as fireworks were set off. Dancers moved around and the band played as Walker waved and held up the shield. Y/N clenched her jaw and broke the pencil she was holding. There was a commercial break and when it came back, things were more calm. Walker had taken his helmet off and was sitting across from the news anchor.

"Thank you so much for coming," the anchor said. "This has gotta be fun, though, coming back to your high school after so much as changed?"

"Oh, it's great," John chuckled. "We're..." The crowd picked up cheering again. "Oh!" John turned back and waved. "Yeah!"

"John, I think the first thing everyone wants to know is what is it like being Captain America? Do eagles fly overhead wherever you go?"

Y/N scoffed and rolled her eyes at the television screen.

John laughed at the last question asked. "Uh, yes," he answered. "Yeah, that and flags tend to start majestically waving in the wind."

"And how's the tour been? I know they did a big rollout for you, right?"

"It's the greatest honor of my life. Um, but I'm just a little shocked, I think. How did a guy like me end up here?"

"Oh, wait, wait, wait. 'A guy like me'? Somebody's being a bit too humble. For those of you who aren't familiar with his resume, John Walker, first person in American history to receive three Medals of Honor, ran RS-One missions in counterterrorism and hostage rescue."

Pictures and video clips were shown on the tv of what the anchor was talking about. Including a video of him practicing with the shield. Y/N's hands began to glow purple.

"The government did a study of your body at MIT, and you tested off the charts in every measurable category," the anchor continued. "Speed, endurance, intelligence—"

"Look, here's the thing, uh, I'm not Tony Stark, I'm not Dr. Banner, okay?" John interrupted. "I don't have the flashiest gadgets, I don't have super strength. But what I do have is guts. Something Captain America always had, always needs to have, and I'm gonna need every ounce of it. Because I got big shoes to fill."

"Have you been mentored by Steve Rogers throughout this process?"

"Honestly, I have reached out to all of the Avengers, especially Steve and Y/N, but no one has reached back. I do understand that they are very busy people and that most of them are trying to take it easy after bringing everyone back, which I am so thankful for. So, no, Steve has not mentored me. But I was two years out of West Point when Steve came back on the scene. I have followed his career very closely as an Avenger. I like to think that I modeled my work after his."