Chapter 25

warning: contains violence (whipping)

Gasps could be heard as the tall ginger-head male struts in the palace as an uninvited guest

Gasps could be heard as the tall ginger-head male struts in the palace as an uninvited guest. Before King Crepus could call on the guards, your father stops him in the process, telling him he'll handle this matter. He walks towards the male and stops him in his steps. "General Tartaglia."

"Emperor (Father's Name)."

"This is a private wedding and you come in barging for an objection. What do you think you're doing? If you leave now, I'll spare you."

"Thank you for your consideration, Emperor (Father's Name). What I need is not my title as general nor a higher status but... for you to let your daughter go."

The emperor furrows his eyebrows. "And what makes you say that? This is for the peace of our kingdom— an alliance! Do you not see?"

"It's because of your incompetency as an emperor that you are unable to find a solution aside from letting men go to war and for what? In exchange for your daughter because you had no other choice? You're pathetic."

By the time Childe finishes, the emperor was fuming with anger, the tips of his ears were as red as a tomato. "Guards, send General Tartaglia to the torture chamber. Ah yes, don't forget to give him the punishment he deserves."

Two guards grabbed Childe by his arms and pull him away. At least he knew this was going to happen. But what he didn't prepare for is that the last thing he saw was a tear falling from your eye. His heart clenched at the thought that you were no longer his, that he was too late. Now that you were claimed by someone else, he could no longer share stories about his family nor hold you in his arms and share kisses.

Once the emperor confirms that Childe's gone from his sight, he walks towards you and turns to the audience. "My apologies for the small interruption. I believe everyone is in a state of shock so I think this may not be a good time to continue the marriage but... a show is coming. Prepare yourselves for the greatest show you'll ever see. Think of it as an intermission number."

The wedding was abruptly canceled... for a show? You don't understand what your father was talking about, even King Crepus had a confused expression on his face. Several servants flock in the main hall to escort you back into the room as you changed into a simpler outfit— a red qipao. When you finish changing, one of the servants escorted you out to the large garden where a small pavilion is situated at the center of the garden. In front of the pavilion is a small but wide platform and several soldiers have gathered around it.