~Alone Together~ Older Dipper Pines x Reader

No warnings. Just a song-fic to my favourite song that makes me cry way too much because of personal love-stuff.
❤️❤️❤️

You'd dreaded this day for a long time. Nothing was right here. Nothing. You'd doubted yourself on many things before, but you knew this in your heart. You knew it really well. Like nothing before. This thing was undeniable, yet denied it remained.  You knew that Dipper Pines was the only one for you...
So why was he dancing with her?
It hurt, lord it hurt. You wondered for a moment if your doubts about an almighty creator had been wrong because such a pain in your heart and soul was so deep that you felt there was no worldly force that could hurt you so. This feeling blew through you like a cold wind, chilling you, killing you, breaking every loving bone in your body. Unfortunately, there wasn't a bone in your body that didn't love for Dipper Pines.

You'd been children together in Gravity Falls. You'd met him almost as soon as he'd arrived, bearing witness to his twin sister, Mabel's, almost-wedding to the small gnome creatures. The very same ones that had scoured and trashed your trash bins almost weekly for as long as you could remember. You'd only spoken to him briefly, quickly becoming consumed by Mabel's attention. You'd been her very first "BFFF," her Best Freakin' Friend Forever. Although you'd never enjoyed glitter and boys, at least not to the extent that Mabel always had, you had appreciated the company of such a genuine person.
Not a day went by in Gravity Falls, Summer or any other season, Dipper or no Dipper, that you didn't think about him. You'd shared many meaningful moments with Dipper, feeling a shadow of romantic tension. Yet, always, you remained in the shadow of Wendy.

So now, you stood on the sidelines of one of the famous Northwest soirées. Ever since common people of Gravity Falls like yourself had been allowed into the mansion, you'd not passed up an opportunity to attend. If not for the fancy hors de oeuvres, then for Dipper, who was likely to attend.
But this time, it was different. Wendy was a lucky lady, but more importantly, Dipper was a lucky man. That's all you'd ever wanted for the poor boy. Luck and happiness. He was so shy and awkward in his youth. You loved every bit of it. Yet you loved ever more as he grew into his skin, becoming a respectable and admirable young man. In his late teens, he'd gotten much taller than anyone had thought he would. His trim stubble framed his face perfectly, and that smile. You could tell that his night was made.
Now you're in so deep.
You knew you'd fallen so hard for him and you'd been falling for so long. Like you were trapped in the famous bottomless pit of the Falls.
He swayed and spun Wendy. They were enveloped in each other. Her dress flayed around her like feathers off of a dove. You couldn't stand to watch any longer. You put down your drink you'd refilled many times that evening. You'd feared your buzz had gotten a tad out of hand. Escaping to the balcony, you inhaled the evening air. You realized that the mansion wasn't stuffy itself, but you'd been suppressing such powerful emotion, you truly felt that you were being suffocated. For so long, you thought you could get by trying to lie to yourself, always playing it cool and happy for him. He'd never go on too much about Wendy around you, but he didn't need to. It all laid in the look in his eye when she was around. The only other living soul who knew of your feelings was Mabel. Dearest Mabel. It wasn't too long ago when you told her, and when she found out you'd been stifling your own heart for so long, she practically burst into tears, and when you told her you kept quiet for the sake of Dipper's happiness with Wendy, she lost it. You'd have thought it was her suppressing all this emotion by the way she wept into your shoulder whilst her pig, Waddles, silently gummed at the elbow of your shirt.
You really only knew that Dipper was the one for you, and there was no other. Stepping out of your own head, you set your drink down on the table and rested your elbows, arms, and eventually, your hot forehead on the cool metal of the balcony. The pine trees swayed in the light summer-night breeze, and you wished dearly to be one of them, as free as they seemed. The band inside the mansion played on, not quite masking the sound of footsteps approaching you from behind. You barely had time to recollect yourself. You fixed your hair and hoped the balcony hadn't left a mark on you before you pivoted to meet the gaze of the man of your evening. He looked surprised, and a little something-else. You couldn't put your finger on what he was feeling, and usually, you were pretty good with that sort of thing.