Chapter 26

~ Sylas ~

The library is built like a strange cathedral; like a cross with double arms. The central hall is long and open, with two smaller wings extending off to either side. At the far end, a great rotunda sits beneath a high, domed roof. There are three levels, but no inner walls, leaving it wide open and giving a grand view of the entire space.

After touring the art on display—a mix of student and professional work—Aurelio and I retreat to the great balcony, situated above the entrance and providing the best view of the long, central hall.

I slump against the polished wood of the ornate railing, already discouraged. The library is enormous; even if I had all night and no distractions, I doubt I could search the whole place. Meanwhile, I've caught sight of Jaxon, and it's done nothing to improve my mood. He walks arm in arm with a tall, dark-haired woman, who introduces him among the crowd.

He looks awkward and a little uncomfortable, but that's part of his act—the lowly janitor elevated through art to the height of society. Otherwise, he doesn't seem unhappy.

"Don't some of these people know him?" I ask, watching as Jaxon shakes hands with an older man in a suit."I mean, won't they recognize him as a Spellwright?"

"Possible, but unlikely," Aurelio says, coming to lean against the railing at my side. "He hasn't spent much time in 'society,' as it were, and if Ms. Blackwell introduces him as the college handyman, that's what these people will see."

"He resembles you, though," I point out, "and they know you well enough."

Aurelio gazes down at his brother with a curious expression. "I always thought he resembled our father more."

I laugh. "He says the same thing about you."

"Does he? Perhaps we are more alike than either of us cares to admit."

"He doesn't have the highest opinion of you, or of Marcus," I say.

"Nor would I expect him to; though for my part I've never disliked him. I rather envy him, in fact. He's a good man."

"And you're not?"

He glances at me, a slight smile curling the corner of his mouth again. "I doubt you'd think so, if you knew me well enough to judge."

I remain silent a moment, my attention once more on the scene below: the laughter and chatter, the mingling masses, and the strains of classical music rising from the small orchestra playing on the stage. I realize I've lost sight of Jaxon among the crowd.

"I thought I knew him," I murmur, "but it feels like the more time we spend together, the more we grow apart."

"You're having some difficulty?" Aurelio asks, not without interest.

I shrug. "I wish I knew. I feel like such a dumb kid compared to him, sometimes."

"You're, what—twenty-three to his twenty-nine? I suppose it's all relative."

"He's twenty-nine?" I blink in surprise, and he raises his brows at me.

"You didn't know?"

"No, I... I guess I never asked. We've been so caught up just surviving, and staying hidden, and with all this..." I wave vaguely at the grand hall.

"Well, the basics are generally a good place to start, when getting to know someone," Aurelio remarks. "At least, I understand that's how regular people do it."

"That's what Jaxon keeps saying," I muse, feeling strangely sad. "He says he wishes we could just be... regular people, together. I guess I haven't listened very well."