Chapter 28

~Jaxon~

"I hope you know you what you're doing, Jaxon," Aurelio says, observing me with disapproval. "Sylas didn't deserve that."

I lean against the side of the open door, scanning the crowded hall beyond. "Well, you heard him. He's done with me and my bullshit, now."

"You might have killed him if you hadn't missed, you know."

I glance back at him. "I didn't miss. I was aiming for the wall."

Aurelio's eyes narrow. "Then he lied?"

"I don't know. It wasn't a spell."

I hear him draw a breath. "I see. You did that deliberately, to drive him away. Why?"

"Because I need him safe; and safe means away from me."

"Perhaps you ought to explain," he says, coming to lean one shoulder against the opposite side of the door, arms crossed. "I know you don't trust me, and while we may be brothers, I know we are not friends; however, I've a stake in this as well, and I'd like to help, if I can. Besides, I've grown fond of Sylas, too, though not in any way you need be jealous of."

I glance at him. "Since when are you fond of anything?"

He lifts a shoulder. "Perhaps you don't know me quite as well as you think you do; though I suppose that is more my fault than yours."

I turn back to the crowd, looking towards the far end of the hall and the stage. It's empty now except for the four paintings. Meanwhile, the dinner and auction continue, and music once more drowns out the din of chatter. There's no sign of Marcus or Lyssa, and Ava has disappeared as well. I'm not worried, though.

"I knew I was Spelled," I say. "I realized some days ago that my feelings weren't entirely natural. I also knew Ava had her Lovecrafts confused. She saw a sketch of Sylas and mistook him for his sister. Given that her Sign's a paintbrush, and with all her talk of upsetting the social order, and of art as the performance of life, it didn't take a great leap to guess what she had planned."

"Why not confront her, then? Why go through with this farce?"

"Because I saw an opportunity; a chance to end this once and for all."

"Marcus," he says.

I nod.

"I took some of the potion you made for Sylas. I know it's not tailored to me, but it seemed to work. Nobody will recognize me who doesn't already expect to see me  here. If I can find Marcus and get him alone, I can get the answers I'm after. The risk is..."

I trail off, and Aurelio fills in the blanks.

"The risk is enormous. Even if you manage to succeed, you'll likely be arrested. Possibly worse. Marcus's bodyguards aren't known for their gentle touch."

"That's why I needed Sylas away from me. If things go wrong..."

Aurelio sighs. "And why on earth couldn't you have simply explained all this to him, then? Why the dramatics? You may have hoped to spare him harm, but you must have seen how you hurt him just now."

I had, too. The look on his face is burned in my mind. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

"Because it's not just the paintings," I say, keeping my eyes on the crowd as I search for my quarry. "Ava succeeded, at least in part; she showed me myself, and it frightens me. She didn't invent these feelings, 'Rel. She just amplified what was already there. I think it's got something to do with our bond as Ink and Quill, but it's been getting worse. It's like I don't want him out of my sight; like only absolute possession will satisfy, and I know how unhealthy that is. When I sense his distress, it's like I lose my mind. I've been able to control it so far, but I'm worried that eventually... Eventually, I'll do something unforgivable."