[4]

You walk quickly up to the door. Dave was standing next to a bench, trying to fix his hair. He was wearing a casual outfit. His shirt had wrinkles from being presumably folded for a quite a while.

He must not get out much.

"Hello there." You wave.

He looks up at you and grins.

"Hello." He replies.

He walks over to the diner door and pulls it open for you. The door dings softly. As you step inside, the smell of warm food wafts into your nose and your ears are filled with chatter. Dave guides you over to a small booth and sits down. You sit down across from him. He looks down at the menu as he awkwardly smiles.

"So... This diner is nice. Do you come here often?" You started.

He looked up at you.

"Yeah. Most days i come here before my shift. Plus the food here is great." He points to a good looking burger on the menu.

A waitress carrying multiple trays rushes past the table.

She turns her head and stutters with a southern accent "I-I'll be right over Mr. Miller." before rushing off again.

"Take your time!" He calls after her.

The waitress slows and does a double take, causing her to trip over her own feet. She ended up dumping sodas and food on the floor. Dave immediately stands to go help her. He pauses and looks at you. You grab up a few napkins and slide out of the booth, Dave nods and smiles. He grabs some too and follows.

The waitress mopped up the soda and you and Dave cleared the food. You both return to your seats and you continue to browse the menu. You decide on [whatever you want :)]. The waitress rushed by a few more times before finally stopping by your table.

"Thank you so much for helping me" she panted.

Her eyes wander you up and down. She looks over at Dave and shows a knowing smile.

"So~, you finally brought the missus?" She elbows him.

"I- Uh no," he rolls his eyes. "This is Y/N, I just met her at work yesterday. Y/N meet Melissa."

Melissa waved.

"Nice to meet you! Dave here is one of our favorite regulars here, when he's not being grouchy." She jabs.

You laugh and he playfully groans.

"Anyways, what can I get for you?" She asked.

"I'd like the [///], Please" you slide your menu to the center of the table.

She turns to Dave, "And the usual for you?"

He smiles and nods. She pulls out a notepad and writes for a moment.

"Alright, I'll have that out for you soon." She slinks back to the kitchen.

Dave looks back to you.

"Thank you for helping earlier. You really didn't have too." He grinned.

"Aww why wouldn't I have? It would be mean to just leave her."

The waiter returns with your drink. She opens her mouth to speak but was called over by another table. Dave looks out the window. You study his face and take a sip from your cup.

"Do you have any pets?" Dave asked.

That led to a lengthy conversation about animals. Dave explains how he's never had a pet.

Dave leans his head on his hand and smiles.

"Its been a long time since I've had a good conversation." He sighs, still smiling. "Thank yo-"

He's cut short by the waitress delivering the food and a milkshake. Dave sits up and scoots his meal closer to him. Your food smells amazing!

"I'm sorry for taking so long" Melissa apologized.

Dave nods and pours some ketchup onto his tray. Melissa gawks at Dave.

"Look at you, smiley!" She giggles and winks at you. "You should meet with him more often."

You raise your eyebrow at him and he diverts his eyes to his food.

"Thank you." You look over to Melissa, who's grinning like a mad man.

"No problem ma'am. Enjoy your food." She bounced away.

You turn back to your food and dig in.

Your food tasted amazing! No wonder he likes this place.

As you eat you look up at Dave. He was drowning a fry in ketchup in a daze. His shiny grey eyes looked almost cloudy.

"Dave?" You waved to get his attention.

"Hm?" His cold eyes snapped over to you.

"You okay? You smushed your fry." You point to his tray and he looks down at it.

"Whoops." He popped the fry in his mouth and picked up his burger.

- - -

When you finished eating you talked a bit more. Dave took a while longer to eat, but you didn't mind. You had someone to talk to. You had been there so long the shifts changed. A few other people waved hello to Dave as they rushed around.

"Alright, I'm done eating. Sorry for holding you up." He smiled apologetically.

"Nah, it was nice." You grin.

Dave takes your tray and stacks it underneath his neatly. His still had a bit of food on his. He leans forward to grab his wallet. He fishes out a card and leaves it out for your new waiter to grab. He also grabs some cash out for the tip.

Your waiter snatches up the money and smiles at the tip. He rushes off to charge the card and help other guests. Dave picks at his hands absentmindedly and stares at the employee door.

"Was it scary being the nightguard?" You question.

Dave looks up in surprise. He stared at the floor for a moment before looking at you.

"Sometimes. When I figured out about the back room everything got easier." He shrugged. "I haven't really asked you questions, huh. How about... Do you have any kids?"

He changed the subject smoothly. But you noticed. You just felt it.

"Yeah. I have two kids. Their in college though." You frown.

The waiter returns and sets Dave's card on the table.

"Have a nice night you two." The waiter takes the dirty trays back to the kitchen.

Dave smiles and stares at the floor as he slides out of the booth. You stand and wait until he catches up to you to walk outside.

"Well this was nice." You say as he hold the glass door open for you.

"It was." He turns toward his car. "I guess Ill see you later."

He slid into his car and started it. He really Isn't good with people. He backed out of his spot and sped in the direction of the mall. You copied and headed home. It was getting late.

[1101 words]