(13) boom

"so you're really not gonna show up huh sasuke?" jin clenched her fists and strenuously shook her leg, failing to focus on shikamaru's match.

saito glanced at her best friend, gently rubbing her back. "don't worry amano, cmon it's sasuke, he's definitely going to show any second now... be happy that they made an exception for his match."

"it's not just that megumi... i'm wondering what the hell is going on. something doesn't feel right."

saito froze, falling speechless at those last four words.

"something doesn't feel right..."

"whaddya say amano?! i can't hear!"she shouted to her bestfriend as they swung in opposite directions.

" i said.." jin stationed her feet on the grass, stopping her swing. "something .. doesn't feel right megumi." she gently rose to her feet, stammering on her words.

saito raised her eyebrows at jin, also stationing her feet. "are you okay? what is it? what's wrong?"

"i can't put my finger on it.." she observed the other kids and parents as they smiled and giggled around the playground, before turning her gaze to her best friend who had a concerned look on her face. she gave her traditional toothy smile with her eyes closed before laughing off her worry. "nevermind maybe i'm just imagining thin—".

BOOM.

the smiles and laughter became faint cries as the air became thin and grey. struggling to grasp her breath, saito held her head in pain as a ringing noise shot throughout her ears. her eyes focused, scanning her surroundings. ashes, rubble, smoke, and fire. she panicked in fear struggling to locate her bestfriend.

"—YOU ASSHOLE!"

saito coughed, feeling a lost for words at the scene only a slight distance away from her.

"j..jin no."  feeling weak in her knees, she crawled as she watched the green haired girl charge towards a man with piercings. "stop." her mouth trembled with fear observing the man while he rose his palms forward. "i can't move."  she thought, "move saito. move." she spoke weakly trying to instruct herself.

"shinra tensei." the man spoke sternly.

she gasped for breath as jin's body crashed into the stone next to her. she crawled quickly towards her bestfriend, her palms shaking as she struggled to turn her over. she flinched, positioning her upright, blood poured from her forehead coating her green hair. saito gasped. "amano.. you there? wake up." she said gently shaking her best friend. "AMANO!" she yelled shaking her friend with more and more aggression.

"MOMMY! WHERE ARE YOU?!"

saito's focus snapped towards a young boy covered in blood and ashes.

"katsu!"

saito impulsively held jin in her arms as bombs detonated near the boys location. her sight of the boy was lost and she looked up to see a blonde haired man flying on a clay bird, laughing hysterically.

"why..." saito cried, looking up to see the man with piercings inching closer towards her. "AMANO."  her heart raced as she looked in multiple directions, feeling nothing but chaos around her, contemplating what to do, questioning if these were her last moments. "AMANO! AMANO, PLEASE GET UP PLEASE!" she cried, as jin's blood dripped into her mouth, "YOU HURT MY BEST FRIEND! LEAVE OUR VILLAGE ALONE!" she cried again before grabbing amano on her back and running the best way she knew how.

"you said something didn't feel right amano. i didn't listen.."

"whadd'ya say megumi?"