Tuesday September 2

I got up miserably knowing school was tomorrow. Goodbye summer, goodbye freedom, goodbye happiness. I glanced over at Jeanne, grunting as her unkept hair went in and out of her mouth as she silently slept. I got the snoring habit. I put on a neat blouse, kakis, and shoelace less sneakers. I hurried through the normal morning routine, trying to satisfy my endless pit of a stomach as soon as possible. Jeanne was a heavy sleeper, but only sound wise. Try pranking her in the middle of the night- she'll notice, and chew your whole ear off afterwords. Not to sound mean, but I am glad to be in a separate class than her this year, I was ripping my hair and teeth out then, but being in her class again for the 5th year in a row! My mom says twin shouldn't be separated, but it would be nice to have a break for once. We share everything: a room, bathroom, shoes, and every experience. We both went to Nebraska with the Tanks, even though one of us was invited, not the two of us. The most annoying thing we share is our friends. Everyone thinks that since we're twins, we're on person, or exactly the same. Only our closest friends- Andrew, Max, Kendal, and Stacey- know we are as different as a candy wrapper and an elephant.

I look again at the open house list. Kate Decomillo, Andrew Heaves, Kendal Credous, Stacy Grannes. Then I see the name in ugly bold letters. Julie Tallip.

My forehead is boiling grease, my fists are as tight as a watch on the tightest knob, and I am angry. I have hated her since kindergarten. She stole the very beautiful, expensive necklace my grandma gave me before my grandma died, and never gave it back. When I told the teacher, she hid the necklace and lied. Sometimes, to knack at me she still wears it. Even worse, everyone loves Julie and she seems perfect. Julie is good friends with Centia Pallico, the most popular girl in school. Centia is a very nice person, who came from Paris and her parents are rich, so she can afford nice clothes, and luxuries that draw people eyes like moths to a bright light. I also see a couple of others. A long yawn comes from the other end of the room. I look over and I see Jeanne's open, sleepy eyes, knotted hair, almost smelling her dry, water deprived morning breath, and following her with my wide awake eyes as she walks to the bathroom like a zombie.

I spend the rest of the day grabbing the school supplies I need from the big pile on the floor, and putting them neatly in my backpack, putting paper in my binder (as well as decorating it),and writing my name on almost all of my supplies. Then, my little brother Andy- the youngest in my family- comes trotting over in his Thomas- the- train pajamas, observes what I'm doing with care, and starts to do the same thing. Andy always copies me. But why me, why not Jeanne, the perfect, favored, lovely, example setting sister who gets good grades, or Gracen, the oldest, the main role model in families, the son. Why Kate, the average person, with average grades, who is only above average at swimming or baseball. But if I try to get Andy to go away, my mom will swoop in and be his titanium shield. When Gracen does something to Jeanne or me, he gets a stern talking to. If Jeanne does something to Gracen, she gets a talking to. If I do something to Gracen or Jeanne, I get grounded mostly. But, if anyone lays a finger on Andy, my mom (sometimes dad) will bite off the finger. After all, Andy is supposedly "too young" to do any thing wrong.

********************* *********************
I try to sleep. But my sleeping schedule is as messed up as when you shake separated water and oil. Plus, my mind is filled with worries and other thoughts about school. I'm not ready, I need another week, I need another month. I'm not ready to get up early. I'm not ready to have schoolwork and homework. I'm not ready to deal with popularity and drama. I'm not ready to handle the other students. I'm not even sure I'm ready to handle my friends. But, I fell asleep anyway at about 9:00.