𝙩𝙬𝙤

The next morning, after a cup of coffee each and the cat's food dish was filled, River and Dane left the house, with Dane putting the spare key back where he found it. The walk was filled with small talk, as the larger issue at hand couldn't be discussed in public. There was no telling who was listening in on them.

"So, um, this guest of yours –"

"River, I don't want to talk about it."

"... Fine."

Once they arrived at his house, River smiled and waved at Sersi, who was in the kitchen on her phone, before being ushered towards the stairs to Dane's home office. On the way to the stairs, however, she noticed the door to the guest bedroom on the first floor was closed, but before she could say anything, she was hurried along into the office and the door was shut behind Dane.

"I still can't believe you brought it back here," she said, folding her arms over her chest as he set an open box on the desk.

"I couldn't leave it at work!" he said, stance matching hers.

"You should've just left it to rot back where it belonged, if you ask me."

"That wasn't an option."

She rolled her eyes and scoffed, looking at him before shaking her head. Of all the stupid things she'd seen her brother do over the years, this was the only time words escaped her. She'd seen him do dumb things to impress girls, including Sersi, and when they were teenagers, she saw him do stupid things to impress his just as stupid friends.

"No, Dane, it was an option. No one told you that you had to take the sword. No one told you to go see Uncle Nathan, especially after everything he's done!"

"Sersi suggested that I go and see him –"

"Suggested, not forced!"

"You didn't let me finish! Sersi suggested that I go and see him before the world ended. How was I supposed to know all of this would happen?" he demanded, and her jaw moved wordlessly for a moment.

"A phone call would've worked just fine, and it wouldn't have gotten you landed with a cursed sword!"

"Keep your voice down!"

"Oh, so Sersi doesn't even know?"

Dane chewed on his bottom lip, eyes darting from his sister to the door before he nodded. River's eyes widened slightly, then she shook her head, one hand going to her face so she could pinch the bridge of her nose.

"Your girlfriend is one of the most powerful beings in the universe, and you haven't told her about this? Are you out of your mind?" she asked.

"Yes, clearly," he said, running a hand through his hair. The siblings looked at one another again, and with a soft sigh, River reached out to set her hand on his shoulder. He set his hand on top of hers and squeezed, then pulled her in for a hug.

"I'm scared, River," he muttered, his chin resting on her shoulder. She rubbed his back gently, closing her eyes for a moment as she took a deep breath.

"Yeah, me too. But we'll be okay, we've been through worse, yeah?" she asked, and with a dry chuckle, he nodded.

"Way worse," he agreed, and they both laughed softly. At a gentle knock on the door, the siblings looked at each other with wide eyes and they were quick to stand in front of the desk blocking the box and the sword from view.

"Come in!" Dane called, leaning back against his desk with his hands gripping the edge. River copied his movements, but instead folded her arms just below her chest, maintaining a more relaxed position.