chap 14

"i don't understand," Namjoon pouts, long hours later

"i don't understand," Namjoon pouts, long hours later. he's watching Jin braid together strips of dough over an apple filling, bottom lip pouted out as he watches Jin's fingers work.

"didn't you ever have to braid someone's hair?" Jin asks lightly. Namjoon shakes his head, miming in thin air what he thinks the pattern is. Jin barely has to look at his work, by now, long familiar with the intricate loops and cross-overs that Eunjoon had demanded of him when she was smaller. "i used to braid my sister's hair every day. she always wanted to look like the ladies."

"no, but-that's not the same, right?" there's frustration leaking into his voice now, something sweetly petulant that makes laughter bubble up in Jin's chest. "that's hair. this is just dough."

"it's the same," Jin says, through a soft smile. Namjoon's fingers stutter in the air, palms falling to press flat against the counter. "look, i'll show you."

he finishes his work, already reaching for another chunk of dough, and has Namjoon watch closely as he presses it down, rolls it flat, cuts the sides into strips. he flours Namjoon's counter, slides the dough over, fills it with a drizzle of apple and cinnamon and butter, and-

"here," he says. he doesn't think.

Jin doesn't think, and reaches for Namjoon's hands, and only pauses when he hears Namjoon's breath catch.

"it's fine," Namjoon blurts in a rush, before Jin can even open his mouth. "it's-i want to learn. please show me, Jin-ssi."

it's more formal than anything they've said in the kitchen so far, and it comes out awkward and stilted, so much that Jin almost expects Namjoon to duck his head in a bow. he laughs, a little nervous, a little awkward. he tries not to think about how smooth Namjoon's hands are, underneath his.

"don't do that," Jin says, before he really thinks about what he means. he can hear the frown in his own voice, but can't do anything to stop it. "not here, please."

"oh." this close, Jin can see Namjoon's eyelashes. the short fall of them under his eyes when they're closed, the tiniest few freckles along his cheek. "that's-okay. i want to learn."

"okay," Jin says, as soft as he can.

carefully, he starts to move Namjoon's hands. it's mostly intuitive, the only words passing between them Jin's instructions to take another strip, to let go, to press the end down gently. and it's over quickly too, the whole pastry not more than Jin's handspan in length. Jin's heartbeat slows down halfway through, from the uncomfortable leap its pace had made when their fingers brushed, Namjoon's skin unexpectedly warm.

"it's pretty," Namjoon murmurs, as he looks down at their work.

this braid is messier, but Jin is growing endeared to the clumsy way Namjoon shapes things, obviously unpracticed but trying so hard to make them pretty anyway. the braid is a little crooked, the pattern listing from one side to another even in the short length it runs, but none of the strips are out of place. the edges have been tamped down with care, pressed in almost seamlessly; the filling hasn't seeped out through the cracks.