Dinner

As dark as the town might be just because of the overcast sky, it glowed its own colours. The blue shined through the cloud gaps letting small glimmers of light fall upon the Encanto streets. The scent of fresh flowers mixed with arepas and early morning lingered in the air. You opened the window in your room letting out a deep breath and a yawn right after it.

"Y/N! Camilo's here! He wants to talk to you!" Your parent yelled from the living room. Opening the door you stepped out of your room into the corridor. It was lit by the soft outside light making it difficult to see any details near the corner.

Walking through it you stepped onto the creaky floors of your living room. The young Madrigal was facing away from you looking at the dusty bookshelf. The sound of your steps must've distracted him from the activity, his gaze landing on you. For a second it seemed he wore a nervous expression before it turned into a bright smile.

"Hola," he said approaching you joyfully. His curls shined from the blue, outside light

"Hola Camilo. Is something the matter?" You asked the boy. His eyes widened a bit before he chuckled shaking his head. His voice was a little raspier than usual. Your gaze dropped to his fidgeting hands, then back up at him.

"It's nothing bad, don't worry," he said. "It's just... Isabela's supposed to have a proposal dinner this evening and I was wondering if you could come?" You raised your brows trying to find the right words.

"I'd love to, but do you think it'd be alright with your family? I'm sure it'll be stressful for everyone," you answered after a few seconds. Camilo waved his hand quickly.

"They said it's fine. To be honest, it's just gonna be so boring," he sighed, "just Mariano taking an hour to do something he could do in a minute." You giggled drawing his attention back to yourself.

"In that case," you said, "It'd be my pleasure." He smiled softly mouthing a 'thank you' before pulling you into a hug.

"You are saving my life," he mumbled. You laughed pulling yourself away from the tight embrace.

"I didn't know you were so dramatic in the morning," you chuckled fixing your now wrinkly clothes. Camilo sighed with a smile... and something in his eye. An emotion you couldn't quite place. "Wait, don't you have chores right now?" His grin faded as he mumbled a swear and headed to the doors. Turning to look at you he waved and left your house.

"I'll come to get you before dinner!" He yelled over the shoulder before disappearing out the door.

***

You looked at yourself in the bathroom mirror. Your clothes were nice enough for a formal dinner. You smiled at your reflection. Hearing knocking from the front door, you rushed to it. Opening it you saw Camilo dressed in his usual yellow ruana. He looked you up and down with his lips slightly parted. After a few seconds, he blinked and looked away puffing his cheeks.

"You look really pretty," he mumbled, his cheeks crimson red. You grinned and grabbed his hand.

"Come on, I don't want to be late," you pulled him along. He cracked a smile and chuckled at your excitement. You felt him intertwine your fingers and slow you down a little.

"We're not gonna be late, hermosa/o. When I left the food wasn't even finished yet," he laughed. You felt your cheeks hitting up from embarrassment.

"Oh," you muttered. The sun shone on your faces as you walked through the town streets. You were watching the house of people you passed every day. All of them had a story, a really long one. Though nobody knows it besides them. You were pulled out of those existential thoughts by Camilo pushing you closer to him. You looked at him perplexed.