Part 16

Mariana's POV:
    We came back late that night. Dean helped me bring in a box of some stuff from that house. As he was about to leave I asked him to stay the night with me, he agreed. We went out on the balcony with warm blankets and hot chocolate. I figured we'd drink our hot chocolate then head to bed but our drinks went from hot chocolate to wine. And the time went from 11:30 to 1:00. The moon was out, shining in the dark night sky, so full and bright as if it had just woken up and was ready to sparkle.
    "I think I'm going to move out soon," Dean said, breaking the tiny moment of silence.
"You found a place?" I said as I tilted my head back onto the chair and looked at him. He looked so pretty. His dark hair was longer than before, he had little strands that flopped into his face. His nose arched perfectly, lifting up a tiny bit at the tip. His lips, god his lips are beautiful. They were always so plump and round. He kept them very hydrated- even in the winters. And his eyes. His eyes told his story, showed his emotion and always made you feel at least a little intimidated. He looked perfect under the moonlight.
"Hello? Earth to Mia", he caught me staring.
"Sorry what?" I said with a giggle while sipping my wine.
"I was looking at places last week and I found a house, a beautiful front yard and a very decent sized backyard. Neighborhood is perfect, a school walking distance away. 5 bedroom and 3 bathrooms. A huge basement suite. Made me wish I had kids" He joked. He pulled out his cigarettes and placed the tip in between his teeth.
"You going to buy it?"
"I would, but I don't need all that space for just me. If I had a wife and kids then one hundred percent yes, I'd buy it. But right now, I don't see a point"
"Well if you really want it, Chris would probably move in with you"
"Chris is planning to move in with V, they are already looking for apartments"
"V?"
"His girlfriend Veronica." He looked at me like I should have already known this. "He didn't tell you? That guy is crazy about her" he laughed as he blew smoke in my face.
"Wow Chris has a girlfriend" I said in shock. "What else did I miss?" I laughed.
"A lot", Dean's voice went dull. I tried to look at his face but he sat up and leaned forward, looking out at the view. I placed my hand on his back softly, slowly rubbing my hand up to his shoulders. He turned to look at me.
    "You ok?" I asked. He nodded then looked back out at the view. I sat up and leaned forward just like he did. "You just shut down a bit. You sure you're ok right?".  He smiled before looking at me.
"I love when you do that," he said.
"When I do what?"
"You take care of me, always make sure I'm ok, even when I say I'm fine. I love that about you." He kissed the top of my head.
"I just want to make sure you're always feeling your best"
"I promise Mia, I'm fine. It's getting late, we should probably head to bed" He got up and went inside.
Dean is a very private person, he tries not to talk about himself that much. When we first started talking he told me he liked to shove his emotions in a jar and make sure the jar didn't crack because then he'd explode with emotions. I never wanted Dean to feel sad so I always try to get him to talk. Sometimes I succeed, and sometimes I fail, but at least I tried.         
The next morning I woke up and Dean was already gone. I checked my phone to see if he texted. No text. No calls. I called him.
"Where'd you go?" I asked.
"I had somewhere to go. I'll come back later tonight and we can talk a bit" he said. "I gotta go right now". His voice was tense before he hung up. I tried not to think about it too much. He'll tell me when he gets back. I told myself.
I went over to the box we'd brought back from the big scary house. I grabbed book one, I figured I'd read since I had nothing else to do today. I opened book one and started to read.

Dear Diary, May 27 2007
Today at school Marcus Larusso came over and sat next to me at my table instead of at the table with all his friends. He's really good looking. My friends say he sat next to me because he likes me too but I think it's just because he and his friend Logan got into an argument and he didn't sit with him. Clair and Logan liked each other and they never talk, which is weird.
After school today I came home on the school bus because Mom or dad didn't come to get me, I came home and they were having another one of those fights again. I saw daddy scream at mom while mom sat on the couch petting Zuzu, our cat. Mommy yelled back and daddy didn't like that. He walked up to her and grabbed her head with his scary face and yelled at her while their faces were so close their noses almost touched.
I saw a tear fall on mom's cheek which meant it was my turn to yell. I yelled so loud that I scared zuzu off the couch and upstairs, it even scared me. I felt like daddy after I started to yell then I quickly stopped. Both mommy and daddy looked at me, daddy let go of mom's face. My job was done and so I ran up the stairs before they could see me cry. Sometimes I wish I could call the police for mommy. Maybe if I did then everything would be better again.
-Mariana Rosabel Sinclair

I read most of that book that day. I was so oblivious to what was happening. I was too young and too innocent. I pray to god if I have kids I will never turn into my parents. I kept reading, half way through the book, before my phone started to ring. I picked it up and answered it immediately.
"Hello?" I started.
"We need to talk, it's important. Can we go for a walk or something?" He seemed scared and emotional. I debated a bit, looking down at the book, eager to finish it. But because I am too good of a person I placed the book down on the coffee table.
"Where do you want to meet?"