Part 22

I layed in Dean's bed, under Dean's sheets with Dean's scent. The room was filled with Dean's things. But there was one thing missing. Dean. Elaina called her dad to check up and see what was going on. They are still at the hospital, Dean's getting more tests done and they are probably going to be there for most of the night. Elaina won't tell me anything. Anytime I ask what's wrong with him she'd say you have to talk to Dean about it. She went to bed before me about 10 to 15 minutes after Dean and his parents left. I threw on a T-shirt of Deans and some of his boxers that just looked like spandex on me.
    I tossed and turned in the sheets, unable to fall asleep with the non-stopping thoughts running through my head like it's a race. I was exhausted but my eyes refused to shut. It felt like hours went by with me just lying in his bed, unable to do anything. I checked my phone to find out it is now 3:00am. I had been laying here for nearly2 hours because I couldn't sleep. It was no use just laying here. I crawled out of bed and threw on some random sweatpants that were lying on the floor.  They were baggy and falling off my hips but I didn't care. I walked outside of the room and downstairs making my way to the kitchen. The house was dark and quiet and big. It scared me a bit, reminding me of my parents house at night time.
    I was happy that this house was like another home for me, I knew where everything was and how everything worked. I took a Los Angeles mug out of the cupboard and filled up the kettle, then flipped the switch to let the water boil. I grabbed an earl grey tea bag out of another cupboard and dropped it into my cup. I watched the water in the kettle boil, the heat causing the water to form bubbles. I blinked and then all of a sudden I wasn't at Dean's house anymore.
***
    I remembered that night in the kitchen in my parents house. I was barely tall enough to look over the counter. It was night time and my parents were asleep. When I fell asleep they had still been fighting, screaming at the top of their lungs. I missed dinner that night so I must have woken up because I was hungry. My stomach growled, confirming my theory. I looked in the fridge and tried to find some food, making sure I'm as quiet as I can be. Dad was a light sleeper so If I made any noise he would wake up and be mad that I was too loud.
I reached for the bread and the jam in the fridge. I never liked peanut butter so there was no chance I was going to be making a PB&J. I moved one of the kitchen chairs closer to the counter so I could stand on it to reach the counter top. I grabbed everything I needed and started to make my sandwich. Once I was finished I sat on the chair and ate in the kitchen: I watched as a spider crawled around the floor and slowly made his way up the cupboard towards the sink. I started to eat my second sandwich when I heard a soft, tired voice.
"Mariana? What are you doing?" My mother said, I looked at her in a flash, fearful of her mood. She looked at my sandwich. "Oh shit you're hungry right? I'm sorry Mariana." She picked me up and sat in the chair sitting me on her lap.
"Why were you and dad fighting?" I asked. I looked at her as she wrapped her hands around my waist holding me close to her. Tears formed in her eyes and she forced a smile to look at me.
"Mariana, You daddy gets angry sometimes. And when he gets angry he finds something to fight about. That's just the way it works hun. But she gave me a stern look in the eyes. A tear fell but she didn't bother hiding it. I think right now, at this moment. It is the first time I have ever seen my mom actually cry, with tears streaming down her cheek. "Mariana, you never let a man shut you up. Always fight for yourself. Your dad yells and screams like a little boy but I always yell back. You need to do that ok? If ever  a man yells at you" she moved my hair out of my face. " You yell back" she started to sob.
I curled into my mothers chest and finished my sandwich in her arms. A couple minutes goes by before she speaks again. "You want to know something?"
"What?" I said, I looked at her curiously.
"You remind me of your brother," she said. She laid a kiss on my forehead and before I could ask what brother, she picked me up and started walking to my room. "Let's get you to bed". She tucked me in, kissed my head and left me to sleep. I closed my eyes and thought about what she said. I had a brother. This was the second time it's come up. But if I had a brother, why didn't I know him? Who was he? What happened to him? I had too many questions.
***
"Mariana?" I heard Dean's voice. I opened my eyes quickly and looked at him in shock. My jaw dropped. He was back. He was looking at me. I jumped into his arms and wrapped my arms around his neck tightly, never wanting to let go. His arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me into him. "You deserve an explanation," he whispered.
My brain grew with confusion. The questions and thoughts started overflowing my brain again and I pulled away and looked at him. "Dean. I want to know what's going on, and I have so many questions. But right now, I just want to fall asleep in your arms and pray that you never leave me like that again" I smiled a bit. He kissed my cheek then took my hand before heading to bed.