~seventeen~

It was late in the day when Elian saw him.

Some of the townspeople had provided everyone with a lunch, and Camilo, Mirabel, Verónica, and Elian had eaten together. Elian had been assisting in the clearing of Camilo's room's area, and Camilo had gone over to check over the plans for the new house. All the Madrigals were expected to put in their opinions.

It was probably the fact that Camilo wasn't there that had Elian's Papa approaching them.

"What do you want," Elian said, their voice a near growl. They let him lead them away from the house, but remained a good distance away.

"He's dead."

Elian frowned. "Abuelo?"

"Si, Elian. My Papa is dead. And it's your fault." His voice was laced in anger. It was all Elian could do to not back up.

"How'd he die?"

"Heart attack last night."

"Relatively painless then?"

"That's not the point, Elodia. He died because YOU LEFT!"

Elian regarded him frankly, trying not to get angry. "He died, Papa," they said, their tone icy, "because he ate very unhealthily and didn't go to Julieta for help. He died of his own pride.

"BUT," they said, cutting off their Papa as he opened his mouth. "He's probably happier now. He was always jealous and angry and grieving. At least he died after seeing the downfall of the Madrigals, even if it's not very permanent."

Their Papa glared angrily at them. "Don't bother coming home, Elodia. You don't even care that he's dead." He stormed off angrily.

This was the most non-depressed emotion Elian had ever seen him have. Huh. They watched him leave with a sense of relief. Until he walked up Alma Madrigal.

Elian rushed up to them. They had to move Papa away before there were problems.

"My Papa died last night," he told them. Too late. Elian saw Camilo recognize him, and grow angry. Elian shook their head furiously at them.

"I am so sorry. My deepest condolences." Alma Madrigal squinted at him. "You look like..." she trailed off.

"Like Valeria? I would. She was my mother. My Mama, and you forgot her. You left her behind to die."

Alma looked stricken. "I-- I didn't mean... I'm sorry, I--"

"That doesn't fix anything!"

Elian finally intervened. "Papa. Enough. Go home, you're in shock." They grabbed his wrist and attempted to lead him away.

He yanked his arm from their hand. "I hate you all." His tone was red hot. Everyone was watching them now. "I hate you, for deserting my mother, and everyone for worshipping the Madrigals like royalty. And fuck you most of all, Elodia, for leaving." He turned and stalked off angrily, for real this time.

"That's not my name, asshole, and watch your fucking language in front of the goddamn kids!" They turned their genuine anger into a joke. They'd left that name behind a while ago. Camilo had wisely covered Antonio's ears, and most of the children weren't helping out over here anyway.

Elian turned to the townspeople and Madrigals and sighed. "Lo siento, Señora Madrigal. I promise I do not hold the same ideals. My now-late Abuelo instilled them into my Papa, but not me." They shrugged unhappily. "Not a fun household, to be honest. Let me know if he continues to harass you, though I don't see that happening."

Their expression softened. "And I really don't blame you for Valeria. My Abuelo forgets that he too left her and their child behind. He doesn't-- didn't want to blame himself in any capacity."

Alma addressed everyone loudly. "Go back to your work, everyone! Don't worry." They turned around, muttering lowly to each other. She faced Elian. "Can we talk more privately?"

Elian nodded. "I really am sorry," they said, as the two walked over to the side. They caught Camilo's eye. They tilted their head inquisitively. Elian shook their head back. They didn't need them for this.

"I'm sure. He was rather rude." She sniffed. "But can you tell me about your family?"

"Yes. You know what happened to my Abuela. She fell sick and fell behind, with my tia in her arms. My Abuelo was devastated. And when you got that miracle... he was jealous because he lost more. He thought he deserved it. And from then on he hated you guys.

"He raised my father alone, in an image of him. My Papa was mostly afraid of him. They lived more or less in poverty. And then my Papa met my mother, but Abuelo insisted she have no contact with the Madrigals whatsoever, and she was like 'fuck that' and left me with them. So I was raised by them. It wasn't great, and I got myself a job when I was 12 to help support us."

They left out the thing with hurting themself to get food. They weren't going to get into that now. "I met Camilo the day of Antonio's gift ceremony, shifted as my father. We continued to meet over the next few days, and here we are." They paused. "Actually, that's not all. Abuelo found out I had been talking to Camilo and went off on me, so I packed my sh—my stuff, and left. I'm staying at Verónica's. She's Mirabel's friend. And then Abuelo died I guess and NOW here we are."

"I never got around to mourning Valeria," Señora Madrigal said. "I had to raise my children and run the village. We were best friends. Our kids were going to be best friends. We were going to help each other and grow old together and raise our children with our husbands, together. And then she grew sick. But we had to keep moving. We had to. And, as you said, here we are."

Tears leaked out of her eyes. "I am sorry for everything. For letting her go, for not trying to help you guys, for being so rude to you... I kept trying to be perfect and it didn't work."

"No one's perfect, Alma." Elian said. "We can only be better than we were before." They offered her a hand. "Come on. We have a house to build."

They walked over to the action. Just before people swarmed the Madrigal woman, she whispered to Elian, "I think you and Camilo would be great together."

Elian gave a small smile and shook their head. She was probably right.

A/N

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)