~nineteen~

They knelt down, staring at themself in the water.

They hadn't known what they'd expected. It had been years and years since she left, just after Elian could survive without breastmilk. At least she'd stayed around that long.

But now they had closure. There was no uncertainty about it And maybe the cost of that was rejection, but that had happened. Elian was okay.

And now they could probably get empanadas themself in the future without being afraid of interacting with Natalia. Because that was all she was. Another woman in the village. Elian could live with that.

And she made a mean empanada.

There was a peace, they supposed, in knowing exactly where you stood in the world, even if it wasn't a good place. There was security in that knowledge.

There was only one thing that was really hanging on a ledge in their newfound life.

Elian definitely liked Camilo.

How irksome.

They didn't know what to do about it. They hadn't even told Verónica, and they didn't quite know why. Maybe it was leftover trauma. Who could tell.

There was a slight rustle in the woods and Elian sat up, alert. Camilo walked out onto the riverbank.

"Oh!" he said. "I didn't know you were here, niñe bonite."

"You come here often?" they teased back.

He snorted. "If you want me to, I can." He wiggled his eyebrows. Elian laughed.

"Come sit." They broke the second empanada in half and offered him one. He took it.

"Why're you here?" Camilo asked.

Elian hesitated. "...I talked to Natalia."

Camilo's eyes widened. "How'd that go?"

"Not ideal, not gonna lie. She basically said that if she had taken me my Abuelo wouldn't have left her alone. She said she wasn't sorry. She just didn't care."

Elian had taught themself not to cry. Of hunger, of sadness, of pain, of anger. There wasn't enough time or emotional capacity to cry. And that had kept with them. So they didn't cry.

Camilo sat down next to them. "Her loss." He draped an arm around their shoulders. "If she doesn't want you, she doesn't deserve you."

"No one deserves me. I'm too good for all the peasants," Elian responded absentmindedly. Their banter was easy, and the arrogance worked for them.

"And you would include me in that evaluation?!" he said in mock offense.

"Mm, you're the best of them." They gave him a small smile.

"You bet I am." He grinned at them. "I'm spectacular."

"Wow, I really am rubbing off on you," Elian commented. "Not that that's a bad thing, per se."

"I don't know. Too many of you may ruin the charm..."

"Nothing can ruin this charm, Camilo. You of all people know that."

"Fair enough."

Elian winked. "You're not too bad at the whole 'charm' thing yourself, you know."

"Why thank you, m'theydy. I quite agree." Elian let out a small laugh at the nickname and formality. Camilo grinned at them. "I thought of that and hoped I could use it soon. Glad you're in-between today."

"I love it. Gonna use it on you when applicable, I hope you know that."

"I would hope for nothing less." The two lapsed into silence.

Their banter was casual, per usual. They both enjoyed talking to each other. But they also enjoyed moments like these, when what was communicated wasn't being said, when the feelings were in the air and not the words.

When your relationship was so thoroughly steeped in flirtation it became difficult so see when the other was serious. When it mattered they could talk without the trappings, but Elian couldn't just drop hints like they had encouraged Verónica to. To tell Camilo how they felt they would have to be unflinchingly honest. Not something Elian was very good at.

And that was why they had stayed stagnant in their friendship. Elian glanced sideways at Camilo to find him already looking at them. Instead of looking away, he grinned at them. They grinned back.

Then splashed him with their hand in the stream.

He gave them a shocked look, then scooped up a much greater amount and tossed it over them. "VENGEANCE!"

"OH, IT'S ON!" Elian waded slightly into the water, Camilo coming in after them. The two continued to throw water onto each other and splash around until they were both soaking wet.

"Oh, Tia's gonna kill me..." Elian said as they trudged out of the water."

"Oh shit, yeah she wouldn't appreciate that." Camilo paused for a second. "Come to my room and I can get you some dry clothes. We can take the back door."

"Mm, taking me to your room? A true gentleman."

Camilo grinned. "For once you'll get to be not wet in my presence."

Elian's cheeks darkened at that. "I'm sure," they managed to say. "Race ya!" It was a distraction, but Elian did love running.

They were winning for most of the time, but Camilo shifted into a notably athletic tall guy in town and easily outstripped them. "Cheater!" Elian called after him, breathing heavily as they arrived.

"It's not cheating if it works, niñe bonite..."

"Uh, I'm pretty sure that's what cheating is, dude."

"Oh hush," Camilo said as they stepped into the room.

"Woah," Elian said at the space. They examined some of the portraits on the walls. "These are really good. Your room is super cool." They pouted. "And I still get a corner of Mirabel's room. Jealousssss."

"Oof my guy," Camilo said distractedly, rummaging around in his closet. "Wear this." It was a loose t-shirt and pants, and apparently came with a pretty yellow neck piece that matched his ruana.

"Thanks for not giving me the same outfit you wear every day. I would get some weird looks."

"Not that I'd complain about seeing you in my clothes, but I think you'd want to be a bit more low-key for this."

"You thought correct." Elian gripped the shirt in their hands and raised an eyebrow at Camilo. He turned around obligingly. Elian made sure they weren't in view of the mirror before changing. "Actually though, thanks for letting me borrow this. Tia hates mess in her house. If it's confined to Verónica's room she can handle it, but I don't feel like climbing through a window to get to it." They finished changing. "You can turn around now."

"Yeah, of course. Anytime," Camilo said, facing Elian. "You should prolly go home and talk to Verónica about Natalia." His tone turned serious. "That'd be good for you. I'm happy you talked to her."

Elian nodded soberly. "Yeah. I should go."

"See you soon then?"

Elian grinned in response.

"If you're lucky."

A/N

One more chapter before the epilogue guys :') Unfortunately, I am having some creative difficulties with that chapter so it may be a couple of days before it's out. See you soon!