Chapter Nine: Family Matters

"And that's when Dad bought Bella here- he named the car." Ethan sighed, pulling into the driveway of their garage/ house. Megs had kind of forgotten they were one and the same.

Megs had just sat through roughly twenty minutes of car restoration stories. Were cars their thing? No. Were they particularly interested in the stories? No. Were they kind of just smiling and nodding? Mostly. It was sweet how passionate it was though. They understood more about what he was saying than most people would, but they still only got about 75 percent of it. But hey, they were going to have a lot of interests Ethan didn't understand. So they listened, and they tried to relate. Tried being the keyword. 

"He sounds like he uses my system for naming things." Megs chuckled. 

"Whaddya mean?" Ethan blinked. 

"Well, when I was younger... every time I needed to name something, I named it something similar to its source word. So like I named the Giraffe at the zoo Raffi." Megs explained. "Your dad named his Bel-Air Bella."

"Huh. I never even thought of that." Ethan blinked. He parked the car, sighing. "You ready for this?"

"Ready as I'll ever be." Megs shrugged. 

"You'll be fine." Ethan assured them. He got out of the car, opening the door for Megs again. 

"God, do you think I'm feeble, Green?" Megs teased, getting out.

"Never." Ethan smirked. He carefully, almost hesitantly, took their hand gently. "This ok?"

"This is just fine." Megs assured him. He led them up to the door, opening it and leading them in. 

"Dad?" Ethan called out. He let go of Megs' hand for a moment and wandered around the house. He sighed, returning to Megs and taking their hand again, this time much less hesitantly. "He's probably in the garage."

"Lead the way." Megs smiled. 

"Oh, it's just through here." Ethan chuckled softly. He led them through a door literally just in front of them. 

They were met by a visibly frustrated Tony Green leaning on the hood of a Civic, seemingly staring it down. Megs actually recognized the stance- and they definitely recognized the glare. They gave it to their piano a lot. It had a clear meaning: Whys isn't this working? It also could be accompanied by an earth-shaking scream, because that's what Megs always wanted to do when that look crossed their face. They were ready to explode when they looked like that... and they imagined Tony was too. Yeah, they were definitely going to leave him for Ethan to handle. If they interfered at this point they were practically asking for an argument, and that wasn't the first impression they wanted to give. Tony's head turned towards Ethan, sighing. 

"Ethan... where ya been?" He asked. 

"On a date..." Ethan bit his lip. "I, uh... I'd like you to meet my partner, Megs."

"Hey." Tony raised a quick hand, distractedly, going back to looking at the car.

"What's goin' on?" Ethan asked, figuring out that this wasn't the time for a formal introduction. 

"Customer's tellin' me 'bout a ratlling sound in the front of the car." Tony grumbled. "They're right, I'm hearin' it, but I checked everywhere I can think of and I can't find nothin' wrong!"

"You checked inside the IP?" Megs suggested. "If one of the clips isn't set properly, it'll fall off and make a rattling sound inside the car. Those things are surprisingly hollow."

"Didn't even think of that." Tony blinked, looking at them. "You know cars?"

"Worked on the line making them." Megs smirked softly. "Actually, I've made somewhere near 2000 IPs for Civics in my time."