Escape ~ Patrick Verona

The thousands of celestial bodies above us shimmered brightly in comparison to the dark pigment of the sky

The thousands of celestial bodies above us shimmered brightly in comparison to the dark pigment of the sky. Underneath the magnificent sky, a slight breeze ruffled through the leaves of the trees and my hair as I slightly swayed on the wooden swing that was in the backyard of my house. I had gotten into another fight with my parents and whenever this was the case, I would always go outside and let myself become engulfed by the beauty of nature because it seemed to be the only way in which I could truly calm down.

I heard some leaves crunch under someone's foot so I quickly turned around and surveyed the area surrounding me in hopes that there wasn't some axe wielding murderer trying to kill me. But I let out a deep breath when I noticed that it was only Patrick my neighbor who had been gone for what seems like forever. When he left to go spend time with his grandpa, I had lost my only best friend which I didn't hold against him because I knew that he had to do what he had to do. But it was hard not seeing him everyday, or ranting to him about the different events that occurred throughout my day.

"Patrick!" I exclaimed, jumping up from the swing and running over to him so that I could wrap him in a massive hug.

"Did you miss me?" He asked in his characteristically deep accent.

"Of course I missed you, and you know what, you have the most perfect timing ever." I said poking him on the shoulder playfully.

"Oh yeah, why's that?" Patrick asked with a bit of a smirk.

"Well, you see I may have just gotten into a massive fight with my parents, and I was kind of hoping that I could escape to literally anywhere but here." I replied causing him to laugh a little bit.

"Then what are you waiting for, let's go do something." Patrick stated grabbing my hand and pulling me up off the swing.

Both me and Patrick and ran down the side of my house trying to conceal our laughter as we did so. But in our rushed state Patrick accidently kicked something that was on the side of the house causing a loud bang to sound. He looked at me wide eyed for a second and at that point, the two of us completely burst out into a fit of laughter which apparently got the attention of my parents.

"Y/n! What are you doing out there?!" I heard my mom yell as the two of us reached the end of the driveway.

"Escaping this hell hole!" I yelled back causing both my mom and dad to burst through the front door of the house in hopes of catching up to me.

Luckily for me and Patrick though, Patrick had parked his car not too far from the front of my house which meant that the two of us were able to hop in and start driving before my parents caught us. As we started to drive down the street, I rolled down my window and waved goodbye to my parents causing them to become even more furious at me.

"That was insane!" Patrick said in between laughs as he gripped the steering wheel with one of his hands as the other ran through his hair.

"Oh most definitely," I replied as I rested my feet on the dashboard of his car.

In not too long of a time, he pulled into the parking lot of our favorite diner and the two of us hopped out of the car and snagged a booth for both of us to sit at.

"So what were you up to when I was gone?" Patrick asked as he took a sip from his milkshake.

"Nothing really, just the same old same old." I responded twirling my stray around in my soda.

"Did you get a boyfriend when I was gone?" Patrick asked in a more serious tone causing my head to shoot up in his direction.

"No, no I didn't why?" I asked resting my head on my hand so that I can analyze Patrick's facial expressions easier.

"I'm not going to beat around the bush so I'm just going to say it, this past year being away from you was the most miserable I have ever been. I don't know if you feel the same way or not, but I realized how much that I like you and not just in a friendly sort of way." Patrick replied sliding his milk shake out of the way.

My eyes widened in shock and I could feel a blush start to form on my cheeks, not because I didn't like him, but because I never thought that I would ever have a chance with him and we would always just remain best friends.

"Really?" I questioned making sure that I heard him correctly and what he said wasn't just a figment of my imagination.

"Yes really, you know I would never lie to you." Patrick responded resting his elbows on the table and smirking at her.

"Well if that is the case than I like you too." I told him with a little bit of a laugh causing him to laugh as well.

"Then would you be my girlfriend?" Patrick asked happily as he grabbed his milkshake again.

"I would love to." I said joyfully as I shot Patrick a smile.

I was so entranced by Patrick that I completely forgot about how much trouble I was going to be when I got home, but I did't really care because at least I had a boyfriend now.