Betrayal

Chapter 3 – Betrayal

I had trouble sleeping last night, so as soon as the sun decided to shine, I got out of bed.

"Hey, Roxy do you want to go for a run?" I ask as I feed her. her reply is to wag her tail and dig in to her food. I quickly make myself a smoothie before going outside to enjoy the morning air and the smoothie.

There is nothing like watching the sun rise or set. I love it. It is so peaceful.

Roxy starts whining after I finish my smoothie.

"Hold on, Roxy. Give me a few more minutes and we will go." I say while patting her.

I rush inside to rinse my cup out and dry it before grabbing my earphones. I wont need her lead because we only will be running within my property.

"Come on girl, lets stretch then we can go," I say as I roll out my yoga mat. She likes to sit next to me when I stretch but only for so long before she gets impatient again. Roxy is the best thing that came from Luna Armstrong. She protects me and makes me feel safe. Couldnt ask for much more.

As I finish my last stretch Roxy jumps to action. I quickly start my watch that tracks me as I run before jogging off.

As I run, I think back to the first time I met Roxy. I had just been released from the rehab centre and I finally decide to seriously look at getting a dog, that might make me feel safer. I had set up a meeting with the person that Luna Armstrong had given me. I remember being worried that she might be there but I hoped she respected my boundaries which she did and has since the last time we spoke in the hospital.

I still couldn't drive but I considering my mother was still missing, I had hired a driver slash bodyguard just until I could get my feet on the ground. When I first got to the police dog place, I dont remember what it was called but I felt so anxious that I was ready to dart out of there at any second but when I met Maggie, she helped me feel safe and was able to talk me through the hole adoption process through. After that it was time to meet Roxy and see if we had a connection.

Maggie walked me into the kennel area and showed me which one Roxy was but then left me alone. She had explained that the connection needs to be pure without outside influence. If we didnt click, then I would be able to adopt her, which makes sense.

I watch her watching me and put out my hand, so if she decides to come closer, she could smell me. After a few minutes of her watching me, I decide to sit down and let her get used to my presence. She watches me but does it only by looking in my direct every few minutes. It was only when a loud noise scares me that her eyes perk up and she quickly checks out her surroundings by walking around. When she finishes, she stops in front of me before finally sniffing my hand.

For the next few hours, we both just sat next to each other. Her presence comforted me, so much I almost fell asleep. I left at dinner time not before making sure I could return the next day.

Maggie said that she was surprised that Roxy even approached me. Roxy had only done that once and that was with her trainer and partner that was unfortunately kill in action earlier that year. Thats why they were trying to rehome her. None of the other police in the K9 unit could make a connection to partner with her.

Over the next few visits out bond grew stronger and stronger and once I found a place, I completed the adoption process and she came home with me. I guess in a way we had our own bad past and just fit together like broken puzzle pieces.

"Time to rest Roxy" I huff out, before coming to a stop. I look at my watch and notice that I have ran 4km so far. Half way there. I take sip of my water before forcing myself to start running again.