The Last Time

It had been nine hours since Lilith had witnessed the Multiverse fracturing, since she and David had patched up the cracks between the Universes and said their short, somewhat harrowing goodbyes.

There was so much more to say to him, she thought for the thousandth time that day as she pulled her cloak tighter around herself, the sea breeze harshening. The cliffedge was barely a step away from where she was stood, watching the waves fight their way towards the wide expanse of water ahead, only to be borne back ceaselessly against the shoreline.

Earlier in the day, Lilith could see the faint outline of Galma from where she stood. It had been a peaceful spot to appreciate the view as she'd sorted through her countless emotions and attempted to accept the fact that there was nothing more to be done.
But now, the sun had set, and Galma had been blanketed in darkness.
The peacefulness had also left her spot as the sound of the waves hitting the cliff beneath her was far louder than it had been as it had crept up the sand.
The tide was almost fully in.

I should be heading back inside, she told herself (as she had been for the past few hours), tucking her hair behind her ears, frustrated as the wind blew it around. Or at least have bought something to tie this back.

She frowned, deciding that she wasn't ready to face the inhabitants of Cair Paravel properly yet and delved into the inside pocket of her cloak for a tie.

"Do you have a blanket in your pocket?" A familiar voice spoke from behind her. "Or a thicker cloak? It's cold, up here."

"No." She replied, but held her hand up in victory, a small length of tie between her fingers. "But I have this."

"You don't think it's time to come in, yet?" The High King queried, having to raise his voice slightly over the wind, watching his wife pull her hair back. "You missed dinner, but I saved you a plate."

"I'm not too hungry." She told him, turning to face him properly. She was starving, truthfully, but hardly felt like eating... she briefly wondered whether she'd actually have to eat enough for two soon. "But thank you."

"Susan's been worried about you." Peter spoke frankly, but carefully pulled his wife into his arms, attempting to offer some of his warmth, "So have the rest of us. Are you well?"

"I am..." She replied, leaning into him.

"Then why is it you've been so unlike yourself today? We've barely seen you, we- hey." Peter's tone softened incredibly as he felt her shudder against him. It wasn't often his wife was one to cry.
Of course, only the day before she'd told him that they were having a child but- "Talk to me?" He coaxed, pulling away slightly to see her face.

Taking a breath and catching his cerulean eyes in hers, she decided that she would talk to him.
She'd tell him everything.

By the end of her explanation, Peter was pacing the floor of their chambers, rubbing his temple.
From where she was sat on the bed, trying to think of what she might have forgotten, she didn't blame him.
She slid the tie from her hair to keep her hands occupied, combing it out with her fingers.

"So- you remembered your parents... three years ago and never told me?"
Lilith blinked. She wasn't expecting that to be his first question.

"It never came up in conversation... not really, anyway."

"And- and this friend you've got-"

"David. King David the In- the Cordial."

"Yes, him. He's a King, married to Susan, in a different Narnia?"

"Yes." She'd decided to leave out the mention that Susan had vanished, but did add, "And had two children by her."

This seemed to stop Peter in his tracks.
"So he's married to Susan, has two heirs with her and still kissed you?"
This is the question Lilith had expected.