Second Wind

A battle-scarred green plain spanned the distance between Ash and his calculating foe. A slightly lesser gap existed between Pikachu and Torterra. The former of which was fresh and raring to go. The latter had finished cleaning up half of Ash's team and, as always, had the stamina for much, much more.

Ash narrowed his eyes, adjusting the brim of his cap. 'None of our electric attacks are gonna do any damage. Paul's not stupid enough to let his guard down over that, either. Time to put the speed we've built up to work.'

"Are you done stalling?" Paul interrupted Ash's train of thought. He slid a hand in his pocket, looking short for patience. "Or is this your admission that Pikachu's not feeling up to another improper match-up? You're usually so gung-ho about those."

Ash frowned. Even know, Paul knew how to get under his skin. "Pikachu's more than up to it. Let's show him, Buddy! Quick Attack!"

"Ka!" Silver light trailed the mouse's body as he launched, making a jagged, but rapidly diminishing path towards Torterra. He wasn't quite as sturdy as Wartortle, but he would upset that with speed.

"Stone Edge!" Paul called out. Another wall of sharpened earth was conjured into existence, throwing itself in the mouse's path. However fast he was, escaping this would be tedious.

"Use Thunderbolt, and blow 'em away!"

Still dashing, Pikachu let out an ample dose of his electricity, unleashing brilliant bolts every which way that blasted the stones to smithereens, leaving nothing between Pikachu and Torterra. Having cleared the distance in the meantime, the mouse launched forward like a rocket, slamming his forehead into Torterra's.

Though its body was tough as the mountain that grew atop its back, the Continent Pokémon's skull was still susceptible to a meager headache that the collision dealt out. It grunted in pain.

"Iron Tail! Launch yourself back!" Ash knew all too well how dangerous it was to stay within close range of one of Paul's Pokémon. There was no chance he'd resign Pikachu to that fate.

Twisting his hips, Pikachu continued his assault. A brilliant light overtook the extremity, creating a painful, jagged hammer that smacked into Torterra's head, launching Pikachu quite a distance.

"You've learned a little," Paul admitted, mildly impressed. Ash had tended to fall into his traps before, one time after the next. This time, he knew better. "It won't save you. Frenzy Plant!"

Eyes locked on Pikachu's shrinking form, Torterra retaliated. The ground beneath the battlefield tore, breaking away from the deadly roots that shot upward, aiming to smash and ensnare Pikachu.

"Pikachu, look out! Use Quick Attack, back-to-back! Move between 'em to get to Torterra!"

Falling towards the hell pit of thorny plants, Pikachu could feel his heart rattle his tiny ribcage. Allowing himself an extra burst of speed, he swung onto the highest, nearest root to him before grabbing onto its spineless end. Flipping to avoid its wrath, he launched himself onto the next with his speedy prowess. Bouncing between one plant to the next, he was finding himself avoiding their brutal strikes by mere seconds.

"What speed!" Paul marveled. Pikachu had certainly improved since their last match.

Soon, though, he seemed to be out of luck. One large root was right in his path, ready to swing and knock the small electric type senseless. Busy with his dodging, he'd had little time to notice.

Ash was the first to notice. "Quick, Pikachu, duck! Land on the ground and keep going!"

Quickly throwing his head backward and belly up, the mouse was only grazed by one of the many thorns, the sting of a cut along his belly gone unnoticed in the flood of sheer relief. Going on to land, he sprinted out of the way of another, finally clearing the air between him and his opponent. He took this opportunity to leap up high, ready, and eager to attack Torterra.