the walk home

Ethan's POV

Ace and I walked out of the pharmacy. We held hands but kept our weapons drawn. Everything was quiet. I looked around cautiously but nothing was out there. I heard a couple of strange noises around the pharmacy but still paid it no attention. We went around the back of the market and walked over to the gate. I noticed that Meghan and Matthew were running towards the bus. Ace and I looked at each other and ran to the gate. A man was fighting off tons of zombies with the help of Breanna and Ben. Matthew quickly opened the gate and started fighting the zombies too. We managed to avoid several incoming zombies and assisted Matt. I sliced a zombies head off and continued to kill as many zombies as possible. The man pulled out a semi automatic rifle and fired at as many zombies as possible. Meghan opened the gate and we all ran in. Meghan closed the gate behind us. The man had a worried look on his face.

"M-my fa-family!" The man spoke up. He was breathing heavily.

"Where are they?" I asked the man. He pointed to across the street at a gas station. Zombies flooded the entrance. "Holy shit! How many zombies are in greenvale?"

"We need to save them!" He stood up but fell again. Ace and looked at each other. "Please?!"

"C'mon let's do it!" I picked up my weapon and started to walk to a less zombie populated area.

"What are you doing?" Ace followed me. Breanna gave Ben a strange look and then threw a water bottle at the man.

"Saving them!" I replied as I started to climb the fence. He gave me an upset look and started climbing the fence with me. We sat at the top and dropped down. Ace landed on his feet but I did a barrel roll. We ran to treeline for cover. I looked at the gas station closely and noticed a side entrance. We ran to it and quickly entered the gas station. It was bare. A woman holding a baby was sitting in the back of the store. Ace and I were going to go over to her but I felt a gun touch the side of my head. An African American boy pointed a gun at my head and stared at me.

"Who the hell are you?" He asked me.

"We're friends! Your dad asked us to get you guys." I replied. Ace held his gun and gave me a worried look. The boy put down his gun.

"Fine. Mom!" He grabbed a backpack and looked over to the woman. She ran over to us and we ran out of the store. There was tons of zombies were making their way to the door. Ace picked up his gun and shot several of the zombies. We were just about to get overwhelmed before a car drove right in front of them. We opened the door and dove in. The mother sat in the front next to Matt and Ace, the kid, and I sat in the back. Matt drove us to the gate and we all jumped out and ran inside. The man hugged his kids and wife.

"Thank you. I'm Jake and this is Shelly my wife and my two little boys Dante and Ashton." He shoke our hands and returned to hugging his family.