Chapter 19: Only him

Leo fell asleep in my arms and I lie there awake and aware. It was around 3 am and he had been asleep for a while. I could feel how connected we were and how much we both loved each other. The sounds of cars rushing up and down the street soothed me and made me feel engerized. It almost fueled me. The lights of the city a few blocks down gave me excitement. As I listened to the sounds of the busy outdoors, I heard a crash. It sounded really, really bad. I prayed everyone was okay, even though I did not know them. I did not have the guts to get up and look, however. It made me scared, seeing someone else's trauma. That's why Leo's cancer is so hard for me. I don't want the boy I love to suffer at all.

I saw doctors running down the hall towards the front of the hospital then I heard things like, "One is dead on the scene and the wife barely has any pulse."

"What's up with her?"

"We don't know. We just knew she had to get in here."

"Okay let's get her into trauma two! Let's go, let's go, let's go! "

" What is the last name?"

"Um...Its...."

"Well?"

" it's -"

I shut the door. I did not want to hear it. I began feel my heart drop for the family. I just hope it wasn't like my family tree. My grandparents were dead, both of my parents were only children and I only had a baby brother. I didn't know any long distant relatives. So if anything had happened, I would only have Leo.

Leo's parent had come down to visit and get Leo released before we found out about the cancer. The stayed at a hotel down the street now. I heard a quiet knock on the door so I got up to answer.

Dr. McAndrew stood there looking concerned. Was something wrong with Leo? I was so nervous. What Was Wrong?

"What's wrong? Is it Leo?" I whispered.

"No, it's something to do with you, Sabrina."

"I'm sorry, I don't seem to understand. You aren't my doctor so how could it do with me."

"Can you come with me for a minute please?" he requested.

I consented and closed the door while walking down the hallway.

"It has to do with your parents."

"What did they do? Have they stopped my treatment? They said they would if I didn't behave. But what have I done wrong?"

"No it's not that. There was an accident. I'm sorry."

"What? What do you mean an accident?"

Blood rushed through my veins, my palms got sweaty, my heartbeat could have been heard for miles. I got dizzy and had to sit down.

"What happened? Please tell me. Tell me every last detail. Please." I begged.

"There was a car accident right outside the hospital. It was your parents coming to surprise you for a visit. They were parking when a drunk driver crashed into them and injured them both fatally. Unfortunately, your father-"

"He died on the scene didn't he? And my mother is here in the hospital and you just figured out what was wrong. She isn't going to make it will she?"

"I'm so sorry Sabrina."

"No it's okay, I think. I don't know. I just- wait.. how can I continue treatment?"

"We are finding a way. I'll leave you now. Do you want to see your mother?"

"Please."

We walked towards the emergency room and I walked into the trauma room. She looked bad. She wasn't happy. She was suffering. I walked towards the bed and held her hand. There was no grasp back. I cuddled up against her and thought about everything. Her, Dad, and Josh, my brother. Wait- where was Josh?

"Doc, was there a baby in the car?"

"Not that we know of."

In an instant I ran out towards the scene outside. I saw the drunk driver sitting there with only a scratch. I averted my eyes from him and ran towards the cars.

"Miss, I need you to get back."

"Is my brother in there? Where is my brother?"

"Ma'am, calm down. Now what seems to be the issue?"

I explained everything to him right down to my family tree.

"I need him, sir. I don't know where he could be. Wait! I know where he is!"

"Okay miss, where?"

Our family friends couldn't have kids so they loved babysitting Josh. He was safe.

"He is in a house on Stonebrook Ave right down a few blocks. There names are Mary and Nathaniel Parker. Please get them here with Josh as soon of possible."

"I'll bring them right away."

"Thank you."

Why wasn't I crying?

Because this wasn't happening. Right? I still didn't think it was real.