Chapter 12 : Revelations

Stephen felt more than concerned for Y/N. Three attacks within a month. Though she was an imposition he wished to avoid, honestly pleased by his agrestic alpha status, he couldn't help but be protective of her no matter what. But her lack of zeal to live and unlikely luck of attracting disasters was further adding fuel to his burning incumbrances. I want her, he realised and was more than willing than any of his kind to smoothly explain to her about the world she had unexpectedly made herself a part of only if... she had not enraged him by her vague will to live and being maddened at the fact that her life mattered to someone or he had tried saving her.

He watched helplessly as she slammed the door and walked away straight. She was hurt. And it was all because of me. The anger got the better of him. Maybe it was because he was tired. The Council meeting was nowhere near to being fruitful and he had this uneasy feeling in his chest since morning - And Tony would be alone to face the Council the next day. He had come back immediately when Wanda called having seen Y/N go out without Rachael or Mathew. Rachael's werewolf connections and Matt's combat skills had given him some hope she would be safe with them when she was out of her house. As for being alone, her house was a safe haven with all those protective spells. Even though she was safe now, he thought of following her till she reached home. He couldn't relax about her.

"Shall we leave?" she asked them, her tone worried. He wished he could use the time stone, go a few minutes back and make everything right.

Stephen felt the cloak's gentle tap on his shoulder and looked back. It pointed towards the trench coat. It struck him a second late that Y/N didn't have her jacket. I didn't have to go back in time to make things right. Just walk to her and ask politely if the girls minded if I joined them for dinner. He grabbed the coat and tried to walk casually towards them.

Stephen was inches away from her when he felt the strange smell of grass and lemons fill his senses. It was similar to the one he had detected near her house the morning after the chupacabra attack. And a few days ago - near the accident site.

The uneasiness puffed once again inside him. The scent came from one of her friends, whom he had never seen before, not only with Y/N but anywhere near Rockport. And she stopped immediately, surprised after she caught sight of him. The rest of Y/N's friends were looking at him surprised too. So it made him somewhat unsure of the other girl. Anyways, he wasn't going to take any chances against Y/N. He smoothened the coat over her shoulders, a bit awkward, as she stared at him incredulously.

"Sorry – we ate while waiting," Emily said in a guilt-laden voice. A near memory of them eating together, unconcerned about Y/N who had been late on meeting them, flashed in her mind.

Lily cursed and was wishing Stephen had called them a bit earlier. I would have a dinner date with the doctor. Cassidy will be so jealous about it when I would have told her about it on Monday.

As for the other girl, she was bored. She was worried about refurbishing her new cottage. Nothing seemed abnormal about her yet...

"It's fine, let's go," Y/N said, looking down.

"I think you should eat," he interrupted unceremoniously. Emily and Lily seemed worried about getting home late while the other girl was suspicious Y/N had called him over to their night out. "Do you mind if I drive Y/N home?" For the kind of information he wished to share with Y/N, it couldn't be done with her friends around. He looked deep into the eyes of the girls trying to intimidate them; a powerful stare of persuasion - a feat every alpha vampire exploited.

Does Y/N want to stay with him? Who wouldn't want to be alone with Dr Rochester? Lily thought, staring at Y/N for confirmation.

Will she be okay with him? What would Chief Henley say to this? She is going to be late home, even if she comes with us. Emily was genuinely worried about her.