Unfortunate Circumstance

Small pebbles trickled down from somewhere above the cove. Kainda, who felt as if she had only just fallen asleep after yet another disappointing training session, sat up at once. She recognizes the sound of raptor claws rapidly approaching the cove. Had the hunting patrol left and returned already?

She glanced up at the sky. Dark clouds blanketed the sun, leaving the world hazy and grey. Despite this, she knew it was much too early for the patrol to have left, let alone returned. Something must be wrong.

A bark of alarm jolted Kainda to her feet and she hurried towards the opening to the cove. Reika, Java, Titan, Amaranth, and Priyaa were already gathered in the small clearing. Additional packmates were still approaching. They did not acknowledge Kainda as she approached, though by now Kainda had accepted this as normal.

Descending down the hill that sloped into the entrance of the cove were the dark forms of Alpha Robin and Alpha Dusty. Their gazes were narrowed in irritation, and Dusty snapped at Titan when he drew too near to her as they stopped before the group.

She felt this wouldn't concern her. But she also knew that she would be unable to turn and leave, as it would be seen as a sign of disrespect. So, in unison with her packmates, she bowed her head down to the ground until she felt grass blades tickling her nostrils.

"I want to make this quick. We won't have long to organize a patrol." Dusty's cold voice filled the air, and Kainda wondered briefly if all high ranks were required to speak in such a way. She knew Reika did. "Attention, all of you."

Kainda blinked at her packmates as they rose up from their submissive bows. Despite the respect demanded from the alphas, she was interested to hear a few questioning trills from some of her packmates. They too knew that something must be wrong.

Alpha Robin stepped up beside Alpha Dusty. "Competition has claimed our territory to the east -- Thanas. A mated pair. Come nightfall, we will destroy their nest and drive them from our home."

A Thana pair? Kainda had never heard of such a creature. Why did it matter how close it was to the territory? Didn't the pack hunt all sorts of critters that were in their territory?

As if hearing her confusion, Titan leaned closer to her. "A Thana is a large beast, able to meet our speed and snap us up in a bite. One is bad enough, but a pair means offspring."

"Thank you, Titan," Alpha Dusty replied coolly. She carried on as Titan bowed submissively. "This will not be an easy task, so it is required that everyone be present."

Priyaa hissed excitedly with Radio.
Buttercup was racing up behind Kainda, blinking curiously at the commotion. Despite her energy, she knew better than to interrupt the alphas while they spoke, and she lowered herself down in a submissive bow as she reached the others. Kainda chewed her tongue. She hated feeling so much less than the raptors around her. But she hated it more to see others so tense around their own packmates. Especially Buttercup.

"And we mean everyone." Kainda was surprised to see Alpha Robin staring directly at her, and she felt a few scales crawl at the back of her neck.

Reika jumped up at once, looking between Kainda and the alphas. "With all due respect Alpha, I think it would prove most beneficial if Kainda remained here, with the nests."

Anger burned at her again. Why was she so set on refusing her these experiences? She wasn't a hatching anymore!

Amaranth and Titan glanced uncomfortably between the alphas as Alpha Dusty and Alpha Robin eyed Reika. Not to Kainda's surprise, Alpha Dusty looked ready to bite her. But instead, she fixed her gaze on Kainda, who could only bring herself to look away. Titan caught her eye, and he stepped nearer to her, pity in his gaze.

Java stepped forward. "It will be dark. And with the storm on its way, it will make things even harder for the Thana." Kainda turned her gaze to her father as he spoke. "Besides, we have been making great advancements in her training."

She gawked at her father, her eyes wide. Was that so? Had she finally met her parents impossible standards? ...Why didn't they say anything earlier?

Reika flashed him a warning glare, her tail lifting indignantly. "You can't be serious."

Alpha Robin hissed. "Reika, enough. I know you are trying to make up for this unfortunate circumstance. But it's time Kainda pulls her weight around here. Her coloration may spoil the element of surprise in hunts. But perhaps that will work in our favor tonight. We will need a distraction after all."

At first, Kainda was relieved to have the alphas on her side. But that relief was quickly spoiled as he went on. Unfortunate circumstance? A chill passed through her. Titan must have known what was coming, and she was aware of him pressing closer. But in her complete dismay, Kainda forgot herself, and stepped forward.