Chapter 2: Disgusted

"Don't touch me! I can walk!" Diana shouted at the guards while embracing Athanasia in her arms protectively. When she noticed that Athanasia is limping, her eyes softened. "I will carry you," Diana whispered to her.

"W-What?"

"Mom will carry you," she uttered. Diana stopped walking as she faced her back at Athanasia. "Don't worry, I can carry two Athanasia in my back. I am strong," Diana assured her with a warm tone.

Athanasia glanced at her with hesitations. "I-I... I...," Athanasia didn't finish her words when Diana glanced at her with a smile. In the end, she couldn't refuse this kindness. It was the first time in her life that someone asked her to do this.

Athanasia's face blushed when the woman started to carry her on her back. Her eyes wandered at the golden hair of the woman. It was beautiful as gold. The woman also smells good, it makes her want to sleep.

Is it okay to be carried by her?

She is sure that she smells awful because of staying in a cellar.

Unlike the beautiful lady...

"A-Are you... really my Mom?" Athanasia suddenly asked the woman.

Her nanny, who was named Lily, told her some stories about her Mom. She told her how she looks like, how warm she is, how kind she is.

Although her knowledge about her is limited, there were some times that she wished that her mother is alive.

However, she also knows that her mother is dead.

If this woman is her Mom, then why did she only showed up today? Why did she not show up when she was still little?

Diana stopped walking when Athanasia asked her that question. A sad smile appeared on her face as she walked at a slower pace. "I am..." she paused. "I am your Mom...."

"And I'm sorry because I was late..." Diana told to her.

She suddenly felt her daughter's head lean on her shoulder.

"Are you going to take me away?" Athanasia asked in a weak tone. Diana may not see it but tears were forming in the Princess' eyes. "Away from here? Are we going into a faraway land?" She asked.

Diana's face crumbled when she suddenly remembered the other Athanasia who was living well with her father and has a lot of people to love her.

That was also her daughter...

...And her Beloved Claude was also in that place...

That question from this Athanasia made her have a broken face.

She doesn't know what to say...

She can't even utter a word...

But she wanted to protect her. She wanted to protect this child. She was just a victim. Diana wanted this Athanasia to live without pain and suffering anymore.

Diana became silent while thinking of an answer. However, when she felt that Athanasia's body became heavy, Diana suddenly felt relieved.

"She fell asleep," She mumbled while feeling Athanasia's breath in her shoulder. "It must be too hard for you. Don't worry, I will protect you..." She uttered with a determined face.

Her heart pierced in pain when she saw that there was a bruise on Athanasia's wrist.

Diana's eyes became fierce before looking at the guards. Her face became stone while following the two of them in front of her.

She wanted to run away with Athanasia, but she knows that it is currently impossible because of Athanasia's condition. Her brows furrowed while thinking of the most appropriate time to escape.